Chev Utility 1.4 Oil leaking from Cam Pully bolt.

GolfGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 83 MK1 GTi
Membership No: missing

Chev Utility 1.4 Oil leaking from Cam Pully bolt.

Post by GolfGTI »

Yes, I am aware it is not a VW, but VW guys are just smarter :lol:

I have a 2016 Chev Utility 1.4.

It started leaking oil out the Cam Pulley bolt on Friday. I first thought it was the cam seal so replaced it and upon further inspection and testing, it runs out from the Cam Pulley bolt so basically the center of the cam is full of oil, not sure if this is normal.

I stuck a long cable tie in the bolt hole and it seems it is open through the entire center of the cam shaft. On the passenger side of the cam box is the cam sensor housing with sensor which then has the coil pack on it.

I removed all that to check but can not see much with out removing the cam sensor pickup wheel. I have never done it and don't want to screw up any of the position phasing or whatever it might be as I don't know if it fits on one way with a slot or dell.

Any body removed one of these before or may have insight as to while the oil would be running out the center of the cam? If these are no other seals, do I dump a whole bunch of locktite on the cam bolt and hope and pray it stops leaking until I find the soultion?

I have looked for manuals and advice online but nothing comes up remotely close to this issue.

TIA
The MK1 GTi - MK1 Gti 1.8i - Under Construction
The MK2 GTi - Under Construction
The MK3 GSi - MK3 GS 2.0i - Sold
The Work Car - Chev 1.4 UTE
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Chev Utility 1.4 Oil leaking from Cam Pully bolt.

Post by missioner »

Buddy whereabouts are you based?

This is odd to me. I used to be a technician at a GM dealer for a few years, I have never seen those motors leak from that cam sprocket bolt before. I have seen them leak from everywhere else related to the camshaft and the cambox, but not from the bolt itself.

I have a Chev like yours at work that broke the cambelt, if the customer approves the quote I will get to strip the motor and have a better look at the camshaft and how it's constructed. I should then have a better idea of how to guide you to a solution.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
GolfGTI
Cadet

Post by GolfGTI »

I am in Centurion.

Cam Belt broke about a month ago. Bent all the valves so pulled the head, had it all sorted, stuck it back on only to have it break 3 of the rockers, luckily right outside my house. Managed to replace all 8 and car has been perfect since then up until Friday when burning oil was the smell of the day.

Also thought it was cam seal or cam box. Replaced the seal, checked around cam box and cleaned the mess.

Ran the car for 10 min and it started dumping out the sprocket bolt. When I removed the bolt the oil poured out.

I am not familiar with these cams and where/how they lubricate. Not sure how oil would get into the center of the CAM itself unless the cam itself as a issue.

I am going to try pull the CAM out tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

Let me know if you manage to find anything as well.

Thanks.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Ja shot for the reply.

Checking the cam I think is the right idea.

It does have oil run though it for lubrication but the oil must not come out through the bolt hole. It's possible the cam has a crack in it from the cambelt breaking.

If it is the case then cambox off and replace it with a new one.

Don't remove the head or the manifolds to do the cam box, leave them alone. Drain the coolant to prevent seepage into the cylinders and oil galleries, then make sure the head bolts are oiled before they get torqued correctly. Oil or grease on the bolts makes them turn nicely.

If you get stuck PM for my number.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
GolfGTI
Cadet

Post by GolfGTI »

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback.

I inspected the cam as best I could and could not see anything standing out with regards to a crack.

I took the cam pulley bolt out and applied locktite to the bolt threads and reinz gasket maker to the shaft of the bolt and left t for the day. Made sure to clean out the cam itself as best I could.

Been going now for 2 weeks and no leaks so hoping that is the issue. I maybe just got lucky the first couple of weeks after the head repair that it didnt leak.

Will def drop you a PM should it start again.

Thanks for the advice on the cambox, was hoping i wouldn't have to remove everything just for that again and replace head gasket again as well.