golf 3 problems

polyprop
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: Audi 80 GLS

golf 3 problems

Post by polyprop »

good day

I am not sure if I can post here , I have a1996 vw golf 3 ,1.6i the car had a major service and new throttle body fitted .the golf will not start at the first turn of the key ,when it starts it does not want to pick up r.p.m. I have the petrol pedal flat on the floor board and she would stay at about 300 or less r.p.m.

if it just idles for a while the exhaust manifold gets red hot . can some one give advice or fix the problem .
regards
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: golf 3 problems

Post by Jetta2 »

Were there any issues with the old throttle body that needed it to be replaced?
Did the car have any issues before the service?

And the red hot exhaust manifold at idles means there is not enough fuel at idle and that points to a serious air leak somewhere causing it to run way too lean. Are all the vacuum hoses fitted properly, including the brake booster vacuum pipe?
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
GregoryJ
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Re: jetta 3 problems

Post by GregoryJ »

Recently got my hands on a jetta 3 cli 2e motor and noticed the following which I am trying to look at before involving a accredited workshop to have a look at the car.

1.Reverse lights not working already tried shorting connector to see if switch was faulty and fuse is fine.

2.Iner brake lights not working fuses ok.

Got the car in this condition with nothing on the cluster working except for fuel gauge so replaced it now water temp gauge and speedo not working also not on prior one as well.Notices bottom part of speedo gear is of the only part that is left is the gear teeth part anyways got another used one but wasnt working also so I took it back it may have been not working anyways my one just has gear teeth part left dont wanna purchase new one and then the problem is elsewhere also took multimeter and measures for voltage and geting 12v on the connector.will try include a picture.

Cluster temp gauge not working as well and was the same on prior cluster dont know if I should replace and then still not have it working.

Fan is connected directly at the moment as safety precaution.

Would the gauge bot be picking up if I replaced with new one due to fan being connected directly and thermostat being out and would thermostat being out cause radiator fan switch cause fan not to kick in.

The purpose of this post is just to get some fault finding solutions before I take the car to an autolec or workshop.

Another question found 2pin type temperature sensor near computer box anyone have a clue what it's for.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

polyprop wrote:good day

I am not sure if I can post here , I have a1996 vw golf 3 ,1.6i the car had a major service and new throttle body fitted .the golf will not start at the first turn of the key ,when it starts it does not want to pick up r.p.m. I have the petrol pedal flat on the floor board and she would stay at about 300 or less r.p.m.

if it just idles for a while the exhaust manifold gets red hot . can some one give advice or fix the problem .
regards
The ignition timing is very wrong.

The static engine timing needs to be checked and adjusted, then the fine tuning must be done with a timing light.

As it an OBD1 car, to shoot the timing properly two pins in the diagnostic connector need to be bridged to disable the ECU's timing advance and knock control function. It's almost impossible to get a good tune otherwise.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
missioner
Major

Re: jetta 3 problems

Post by missioner »

GregoryJ wrote:Recently got my hands on a jetta 3 cli 2e motor and noticed the following which I am trying to look at before involving a accredited workshop to have a look at the car.

1.Reverse lights not working already tried shorting connector to see if switch was faulty and fuse is fine.

2.Iner brake lights not working fuses ok.

Got the car in this condition with nothing on the cluster working except for fuel gauge so replaced it now water temp gauge and speedo not working also not on prior one as well.Notices bottom part of speedo gear is of the only part that is left is the gear teeth part anyways got another used one but wasnt working also so I took it back it may have been not working anyways my one just has gear teeth part left dont wanna purchase new one and then the problem is elsewhere also took multimeter and measures for voltage and geting 12v on the connector.will try include a picture.

Cluster temp gauge not working as well and was the same on prior cluster dont know if I should replace and then still not have it working.

Fan is connected directly at the moment as safety precaution.

Would the gauge bot be picking up if I replaced with new one due to fan being connected directly and thermostat being out and would thermostat being out cause radiator fan switch cause fan not to kick in.

The purpose of this post is just to get some fault finding solutions before I take the car to an autolec or workshop.

Another question found 2pin type temperature sensor near computer box anyone have a clue what it's for.
Mr Gregory, please don't hijack another person's thread, it's considered poor forum etiquette.

Start your own thread in the technical discussion section and see if you can post pictures of the mystery items you have found.

Keep in mind the technology in your car is 30 years old and it's far removed from modern cars. It's possible to fix all the issues, but it does require more intimate knowledge of the workings of the vehicle to perform accurate and effective repairs.
GregoryJ
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by GregoryJ »

Hi missioner

Not intended to hijack tread

If I had a solution to above meantioned tread of fault finding know how I would have shared it anyway.

I mentioned my issue here as this is almost similar car to one mentioned in tread that's all.

No intention to offend anyone or hijack this tread.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

GregoryJ wrote:Hi missioner

Not intended to hijack tread

If I had a solution to above meantioned tread of fault finding know how I would have shared it anyway.

I mentioned my issue here as this is almost similar car to one mentioned in tread that's all.

No intention to offend anyone or hijack this tread.
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

polyprop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:19 pm good day

regards
Can you please give details about the Major service, was the timing belt also serviced?

Is the new throttle body identical to the old one or is it after market? You may also remove the plug on it and check how it behaves in other to rule it out as problem.

Please give updates, thanx
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)