Golf v 2.0 FSI brokeng timing chain

mokoensn
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Golf v 2.0 FSI brokeng timing chain

Post by mokoensn »

Hello Guy
I have a Golf V 2.0 FSI my timing chain broke and damaged both Camshafts, I'm thinking of buying a replacement engine?
I have a few question 1. Are import engine plug and play. 2. Can i trust condition of these import engines 3. Where can i buy Good import engines
lastly is it a DYI job or do i need an expert. Thanks
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Golf v 2.0 FSI brokeng timing chain

Post by missioner »

mokoensn wrote:Hello Guy
I have a Golf V 2.0 FSI my timing chain broke and damaged both Camshafts, I'm thinking of buying a replacement engine?
I have a few question 1. Are import engine plug and play. 2. Can i trust condition of these import engines 3. Where can i buy Good import engines
lastly is it a DYI job or do i need an expert. Thanks
Answers

1. Yes they are plug and play and no they aren't.
Many have slight damage on external parts and ancillaries, so it's better to make the best of the two motors.
2. No you can't trust the condition of the engine. It's best to have good knowledge of how engines work and test the motor before taking it. Most of them say start up or 30 days warranty on a used/import motor.
3. Look in the back of a SnS or Car magazine. It's full of engine importer ads.
4. Unless you are an expert mechanic, or at least very experienced, It is not a DIY job. Don't believe anybody who says an engine swap is easy, they clearly then have no idea of what they are doing.

I hope this has helped.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

And do not believe the salesman either like Missioner said get advice from an experience mechanics.
Remember you do not know what you buying and they all claim "low mileage".
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

JCTPUBLISHERS wrote:And do not believe the salesman either like Missioner said get advice from an experience mechanics.
Remember you do not know what you buying and they all claim "low mileage".
So true I got supplied a motor for a Polo a few weeks back, supplier claimed it had 40k km on it . Total BS as it already had timing chains replaced and those were already finished. I replaced them before installing the motor, along with new timing cover gasket, crank seals and a sump reseal.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+