1999 VW polo clunk sound when moving

Lukenx77
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

1999 VW polo clunk sound when moving

Post by Lukenx77 »

Hi Guys, I am at my wits end with this one. I hope someone with more experience can help!

I have a 1999 polo 1.4i that is making a single, and sometimes double clunk noise.

It only happens once when changing direction. eg: I will put the car in first and normally between 1 and 5 rotations of the wheels you will hear the clunk. I can continue going forward and it wont make the clunk sound again. I will then shift to reverse or free wheel backwards and once again within 1 and 5 rotations of the wheel it will clunk. If I keep reversing same thing it will not clunk again until I change direction.
It only makes the noise when the wheel is turned near or close to full lock, both left and right although seems louder when the wheel is turned to the left.
It makes the noise when under load, free wheeling, braking etc.
It doesn't make any noise when going over bumps or when turning the wheel stationary.
There is no play on the wheel left to right or up and down when jacked up.
There is no clunk sound when the car is rocked from side to side.
The driveway I filmed it on is not flat but it does make the sound even on flat ground.

I have replaced the Strut mounts
Removed the anti roll bar
Checked the CV nut is tight
Checked all the control arm bolts as well as the steering rod bolt, caliper bolts and any other bolts I could find.

I took 2 videos. The video from underneath the car is filmed on the gopro so the sound isn't very accurate. You can clearly hear the clunk sound when I switch the car off and roll backwards, and if you listen carefully it makes the sound when pulling forward too.

video link: https://youtu.be/kKA8p5WuT7U
Deniboy
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 1997 city golf 1.3

Re: 1999 VW polo clunk sound when moving

Post by Deniboy »

I had a similar issue, due to a shot outer tie rod on my drivers side.