Engine code

Dawud
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 6 months

Engine code

Post by Dawud »

Hello, I would really like to know. Is the engine code infront of the block and if so The engine code on block is not the same as the one on the vehicles papers and license disk, how come?

Code on block starts with AFV and code on papers and disk start with HM or is there another code on the block? Many says its at the back of block but I came across that code AFV and wanted to know if that is the engine code AFV000817.

Vw golf mk1
Kyle28rsa
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: volkwswagen
Car Model: MK1 1983 GLS

Re: Engine code

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Engine code is on the front of block. Code on the block and papers must correspond

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

If the codes are different then the engine was swopped. So if you go for roadworthy you need to habe them register the new engine onto the papers

Dawud
Enlisted

Post by Dawud »

I bought the car second hand with that motor in it, i do have the papers of the vehicle however I don't have an ID copy of previous owner and I've lost contact with him. Is it possible to register the motor onto the papers of the vehicle without previous owners consent?
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Dont think it would be an issue since you have the papers. You can give your nearest roadworthy station a call and explain the situation. They should be able to give a clear answer

Dawud
Enlisted

Post by Dawud »

And to get an engine clearance at the police station? Can j just give them the engine code or what is the procedure?
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Long story short, you will need the original invoice for the engine, stating where it was bought and what the engine number is, then fill out an afidavit stating the motor was changed due to the original being busted, then they will go throught the whole process of checking the engine number to see if it is/was stolen, then you go to your nearest Metro police office and then you can get a new licence disc with the new engine numbe on it.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Dawud
Enlisted

Post by Dawud »

There is no invoice for the engine, only the papers of the vehicle and the owners registration details.

Does the block and cylinder head have codes of their own?

Owner said its a 1.8,on the license disk it says HM and on the papers it says HM. If a carburetor engine gets an mp9 conversion does the code change? Hence why I asked if the cylinder head has a different code to the actual block?
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Dawud wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm There is no invoice for the engine, only the papers of the vehicle and the owners registration details.

Does the block and cylinder head have codes of their own?

Owner said its a 1.8,on the license disk it says HM and on the papers it says HM. If a carburetor engine gets an mp9 conversion does the code change? Hence why I asked if the cylinder head has a different code to the actual block?
The number on the block is what is important.No,converting to fuel injection doesn't change the code on the licence disk.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
Dawud
Enlisted

Post by Dawud »

Where would the number be located on a carb block?
MacMan
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
Membership No: 478

Post by MacMan »

HM = 1.6 carb
AFV = 1.8i
'20 SEAT Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
'12 VW Up! 1.0 MPi

Ex:
'06 Golf MKV GTi
'04 Golf MKIV GTi.:R
'99 Citi Golf 2.0i

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

Do a RPC - Request for police clearance- not sure where you are for example JHB you take care to Langlaagte - line previous member told you your local road worthy centre will help you. Cross fingers engine is not stolen?