Piston rings

Dayknight-VW
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Piston rings

Post by Dayknight-VW »

Howsit guys.. In terms of brands of rings which is the best. AE, Hastings or Kolben. I can’t seem to get Mahle so I’m just stuck with these makes…

Also when fitting them on the piston is it really necessary to use a ring expanding tool? I’ve been reading up that slight distortion in the ring causes issues. Don’t want to make a mistake that could cost me the entire motor.

Thanks
mk3vr6golf
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 9 months
Car Make: VW & Honda
Car Model: VR6 & Type R & RS3 & R32

Re: Piston rings

Post by mk3vr6golf »

Howdy Bud
Hastings are excellent as are the other brands mentioned, nothing wrong with them. Why don't use your fingers/hands and carefully install them :) i do this on my VR6
Current rides:

2021 Audi RS3 Sportback
2009 Honda Type R Championship Edition - Standard for now
2008 VW Golf R32
1996 VW Golf VR6-T 2-Door Highline 315Whp - Panic Mechanic tuned

Ex-Rides :

2012 Audi RS3
2000 Honda Civic Vtec - NA 168Whp - Panic Mechanic tuned
1996 VW Golf VR6-T 300Whp - Panic Mechanic built and tuned
1992 VW Golf 2 2.0 GTI 16v Executive
1989 VW Golf 2 1.8 GTI 16v Executive
1992 Toyota Conquest RSI
1981 Ford Granada 3.0
1980 Opel Kadette 1.3
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Hastings are my preferred brand for most of the engines I have built. Never had issues with them other than those caused by the faults that you find behind the steering wheel.

Make sure your pistons are SPOTLESS. Use an old ring and clean the ring grooves until there is as little carbon in them as humanly possible. Clamp the rod into a vise to keep the piston steady and install the rings starting at the bottom with the oil rings first. Make sure to install them the right way up. The compression rings will be marked on the top and the oil rings to check just squeeze them closed and the direction they bend toward is the top.

When installing the pistons into the block keep the openings 120° apart and not parallel or perpendicular to the gudgeon pin.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Dayknight-VW
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Dayknight-VW »

Thanks guys