Caddy Engine Swop - Advice required

michaelfalconer
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Caddy Engine Swop - Advice required

Post by michaelfalconer »

Hi Guys,
It’s been sometime since I last posted anything,
But today one of the rings on my 2010 caddy gave up the ghost. It’s been a while coming, thought there was still a bit more time.
So anyway I’ve been looking at either doing a whole rebuild of the lil 1.6 bsf (needs a new head either way) or just going and putting a 2.0 in there. From what I’ve managed to find on the interwebs is that even though this shares a lot of drivetrain parts with the Mk5, the engine isn’t one of them (unless someone can enlighten me). So apparently the 2.0 from the Mk4 will be basic plug and play, just need to set the computer box, but my question really is, which mk4 2.0 is the correct one that will fit without having to modify everything, as I don’t want to purchase the wrong one from the importers.

I did try the search function, but said my keywords weren’t good enough to search.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike
Ry@n
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: VW Caddy 2K 2.0 8v
Membership No: missing

Re: Caddy Engine Swop - Advice required

Post by Ry@n »

Hi Mike,

This is currently my plan however I'm going to wait till my 1.6 engine goes (doing 290k mileage). I have bought the 2.0 8v apk engine and have been working on it on a stand. I have replaced the headgasket(did a port & flow), water & oil pump but you dont need to do these on the import engines and you can just stick it in. I will be using all hanging parts from the caddy including the injection system( apk has fuel return pipe and the bsf doesn't)

Everything should fit but I will know for sure when I do the conversion, I'm going with uniQ for the fueling and tuning.
Let me know if you need any info on the a apk as I have purchased a repair manual.

Cheers
2008 VW caddy panel van 2.0 8v

2012 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 Dci Le
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

Thanks Ry@n.
I haven’t looked at this yet. There’s been too much going on elsewhere.
I did manage to find a 2.0 with a gearbox for R10k on the interwebs, but haven’t spoken to the guy selling as cash flow is a bit tight.
As soon as I find some time and cash I’ll keep this thread updated.
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Hi Gents, please do share updates, also have a caddy with the 1.6 engine and would like to tow the race car around, and don't think the 1.6 would cut it.

Wonder how much of a mission the 1.8 T would be to get going in them with the standard ECU from the 1.8T.

The engine swops on the caddy2k forum are mind blowing with all factory ECUs.
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

It’s been a while, and I still haven’t got around to looking at this caddy. My PD was giving a bit of hell had to sort that out before I can spend anything on the caddy.

I will update as and when I get around to this, as I need this vehicle back on the road again.
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

michaelfalconer
Enlisted

That would make some nice power for a work van, but I doubt my customers will appreciate the extra fuel charges when I do call outs.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

The Jetta Mk5 also had a 2.0l 8v model. My friend has one. It has decent torque and can get 5l/100km when he's in the mood to drive slowly.

If you can find a rear or side smash vehicle as a donor, I bet you could swap in the engine, harness and all the relevant electronics and it will work like stock.

The model VW should have built but didn't.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
leonpinocchio
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by leonpinocchio »

Morning guys, i have a caddy with 315 k on the clock and it's using oil, plus fouling no 1 plug.
I would like to convert to 20.l as i need more torque when towing.
Is the mk 4 2l best way to go and do i have to swop gearbox as well ?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

leonpinocchio wrote:Morning guys, i have a caddy with 315 k on the clock and it's using oil, plus fouling no 1 plug.
I would like to convert to 20.l as i need more torque when towing.
Is the mk 4 2l best way to go and do i have to swop gearbox as well ?
Caddy panel Van or caddy pickup?

This info will help as it will radically change how a swap gets done.

This thread is directly related to the caddy panel Van.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+