Citi golf 1.4 to 1.? Advice needed please

Dayknight-VW
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Citi golf 1.4 to 1.? Advice needed please

Post by Dayknight-VW »

Hi guys. I need some advice on this topic please. I have a 1.4 carb with a 1.8i head, got an adapter plate to put the carb intake on to it. Car was running fine, could have been a bit better but it got me from A to B. Broke a ring in the 3rd cyclinder. I know the 1.8 head is not a good match for the 1.4 block in terms of compression. I want to bore the block to 1.6 and use the same crank and rods. Is this possible? Also is there a difference between the 1.6 fuel injection piston and the 1.6 carb piston? I also have a set of 1.8 carb pistons and rods, would this work with the same crank I have in my 1.4?

I’m on a tight budget that’s why I taught of just getting a set of 1.6 pistons, boring the block and using the same crank and rods I have in the existing motor.

I also want to find out if any other pistons will work with the existing crank and rods to increase displacement? Like caravel pistons n stuff?

My aim to get a bit of power out of the motor, pick the compression up a little bit.

Any advise will be welcome

Thanks in advance guys
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Citi golf 1.4 to 1.? Advice needed please

Post by PapaJo »

You already realized you mistake and drop in compression by using the 1.8 head on the 1.4.

As you are planning to bore the block source a 1800 crank and pistons, connect them to your 1.4 conrods which are the same length (144mm) as the 1600 and 1800 conrods. Get new oil pump and gasket set and you will have 1800 motor in your 1.4 shell.

Don't forget to change carb jetting for 1.8 if you are still using the 1.4 carb. Upgrading the 1.4 std exhaust branch to a branch is also recommended.
Dayknight-VW
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Citi golf 1.4 to 1.? Advice needed please

Post by Dayknight-VW »

Thank you

Is there any difference between the carb and fuel injection piston? Also is there any difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 head in terms of compression ?

Would it be safe for me to deck the block about 0.5mm to pick the compression up a bit? I want to try and squeeze as much as I can out of that motor. I’ll be running normal pump fuel and using the car daily.

Is there any difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 oil pumps?