Supercharger on a CLS engine?

ChrisMaxx
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Supercharger on a CLS engine?

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Hey guys. So I've been playing with the idea of supercharging my 2013 Polo Maxx. I know of the costs involved with tuning and accessories that need to be bought but I've made peace with it..

Car already has an intake, branch and I'm having a 57mm freeflow done soon.

I've had the idea for a while now and to be honest, the space is there in the engine bay. I do have experience swapping engines into other cars and doing electrical work, as I do electronic work at my job nearly every day.

I know I'll need a supercharger, hoses, boost pipe, dump valve, cooler, electrical water pump, hoses, belts, boost control, tensioners and tuning etc. I'll also install an AFR gauge and boost gauge for safety.

I'm aiming for 110kw atleast, I just want a bit more power, I dont want to boost more than 0.6 bar.

Any input guys? I dont want to sell the car, it's nearly paid off (6 months).

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by ChrisMaxx on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
:cool:
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Supercharger on a CLS engine?

Post by Unobeat »

Why don't you go thr turbo route rather snd keep the boost at 0.6 bar.

You also don't need a big turbo.
Just know that, that motor was never designed for performance and will have plenty of teething issues with the build to get it to perfection and i hope this is not your only car as fiddling with your daily can be stressful.

Another thing would be to visit tuning or performance shops to advise you better about costs and if that OEM ECU is tunable.

Starts a ride thread as i would like to follow the build.
Many best wishes.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

I like the smooth linear response of a supercharger, having driven a few supercharged cars like a 2006 Mini Cooper S.

Also, I feel like turbo would be a way more intrusive conversion with oil pipes/ drains, and I really like the whine of a supercharger.

Need to start collecting parts soon
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

9Re: Supercharger on a CLS engine?

Post by Jetta2 »

You will need to lower the compression ratio by either a spacer plate sandwiched between two head gaskets or lower compression pistons.
I seriously doubt there are pistons available for boost applications for that motor. Unless there are other motors pistons that can fit and work...

The stock comp ratio is 10.5:1 on those motors and boost in whatever form will cause issues as the motor was not designed to be a performance item.

Stock they are rated at 77kW at the flywheel at the coast.

Space is a major issue in that engine bay and a properly designed and built bracket will be needed to bolt the 'charger onto.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Re: 9Re: Supercharger on a CLS engine?

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Jetta2 wrote:You will need to lower the compression ratio by either a spacer plate sandwiched between two head gaskets or lower compression pistons.
I seriously doubt there are pistons available for boost applications for that motor. Unless there are other motors pistons that can fit and work...

The stock comp ratio is 10.5:1 on those motors and boost in whatever form will cause issues as the motor was not designed to be a performance item.

Stock they are rated at 77kW at the flywheel at the coast.

Space is a major issue in that engine bay and a properly designed and built bracket will be needed to bolt the 'charger onto.
I saw there's no space in the front of the engine bay. However at the back, under the intake manifold, there is loads of space between that and above the subframe.

I actually forgot about dropping the compression ratio, but I'll probably ask Redline to make me a thicker copper gasket.

I just want a bit more power, just for daily driving and occasionally playing a bit
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Unobeat wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 am Just know that, that motor was never designed for performance and will have plenty of teething issues with the build to get it to perfection and i hope this is not your only car as fiddling with your daily can be stressful.

I agree with @unobeat if u have a 2nd vehicle to use as a daily then by all means go for it. It will be something very different and very unique but will require alot of TRIAL AND ERROR I'd love to follow the build so plz start a thread... I love following unique builds
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Trishen94 wrote:
Unobeat wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 am Just know that, that motor was never designed for performance and will have plenty of teething issues with the build to get it to perfection and i hope this is not your only car as fiddling with your daily can be stressful.

I agree with @unobeat if u have a 2nd vehicle to use as a daily then by all means go for it. It will be something very different and very unique but will require alot of TRIAL AND ERROR I'd love to follow the build so plz start a thread... I love following unique builds
I'll start by buying all the parts needed, then I'll start as soon as I have everything. No use working till 80% then realizing you need parts.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

If you are not worried about dropping the value of the car then go for it. I have not seen a succesful boosted vivo engine so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. If done right it can work but most guys just slap a turbo on and break the motor
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

chucker02 wrote:If you are not worried about dropping the value of the car then go for it. I have not seen a succesful boosted vivo engine so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. If done right it can work but most guys just slap a turbo on and break the motor
I went and did a bit of research, I need to get the compression ratio lower.

Also, something that I hope is true, is that the CLS 1.6 apparently shares internals with the Golf 6 TSi engine
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

63mm stainless steel boost piping acquired with silicone hump hoses and high pressure clamps.
Also getting an intercooler next week, with a Loco Catch Can.
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Thinking about fitting the catch can so long, so I can work my pipework out.

Still on the hunt for a supercharger
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

ChrisMaxx wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 pm Thinking about fitting the catch can so long, so I can work my pipework out.

Still on the hunt for a supercharger
Hi Bud

U abit late as i posted for a guy that had i G63 amg superchager( So he said) But it looked small and its gone . he wanted 3500 for it with a dump valve and intake pipe.and braket for the 2L 8v.

Guys i just want to know something if the OP wants to only boost upto 0.6bar why will he have to drop compression

as many many motor can boost that on stock engine no mods ? will this cause a nightmare for the tuner?

Oh and the guy that had that super charger on did mention on the 2L they put 2 head gaskets , So i dont know.

bud u should be able to find a mini supercharger somewhere. the merc 1s will be scares.

Good Luck and i 3rd 4th .etc the build thread

:driving:
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 5%7D%22%7D

Check this post

20V AGU Manifold and turbo 1200 for sale

not my post maybe the OP thinks otherwise? or some1 that is interested

regards
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Decided against supercharging the original CLS engine, way too many issues with doing it. Con rods are super skinny and the intake has an emissions system built into it.

Going VR6 with a turbo and maybe I'll source a crashed Mk1 TT for the quattro system.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

ChrisMaxx wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:43 pm Decided against supercharging the original CLS engine, way too many issues with doing it. Con rods are super skinny and the intake has an emissions system built into it.

Going VR6 with a turbo and maybe I'll source a crashed Mk1 TT for the quattro system.

So you going to drop in the VR motor with turbo in your car?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

Unobeat wrote:
ChrisMaxx wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:43 pm Decided against supercharging the original CLS engine, way too many issues with doing it. Con rods are super skinny and the intake has an emissions system built into it.

Hi Unobeat,

Yes, the VR6 is just the best option for me as it's not too expensive, well open for mods.

Also, the best part being the Chewbacca soundtrack Image

Boosted VR6's sounds absolutely fantastic and it would be the best choice in my opinion.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

ChrisMaxx wrote:
Unobeat wrote:

Hi Unobeat,

Yes, the VR6 is just the best option for me as it's not too expensive, well open for mods.

Also, the best part being the Chewbacca soundtrack Image

Boosted VR6's sounds absolutely fantastic and it would be the best choice in my opinion.
Yeah man

They sound awesome

Plus there is a guy who is running a boosted VR6 motor here on the forum.

I need to remember his name now.

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

The thread is titled "VR6-T by Panic"
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+