Cam Cap bolt Nuts and Washers

cliffm
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 1

Cam Cap bolt Nuts and Washers

Post by cliffm »

Hi, I recently acquired a Golf 2 2.0l GTi 8v cylinder head. It looked in pretty good shape so I had it overhauled and a light porting treatment by a good mate, and used it on a 2E block. I am impressed with the performance, using the standard G-Cam, it has a lot of low down torque. But I started having a misfire problem when cold. It started fine and then started to misfire. I took off the spark plug leads one by one, until no3. But there was spark, just not making power on no3. I took it as being a faulty hydraulic, so I swapped out the two cam followers with No2, and the problem did not move to no2. I then removed the cam again to find the oil galleries were blocked up with what looked like black crystallized oil, normally found in motors that have got extremely hot. My motor has not. I tried to remove the debris that I could see, it was very hard. I eventually got the galleries clear at the cam bearings, but didn't think to check the hydraulic galleries. I purged the oil system by using a drilling machine on the oil pump drive, under the dizzy, the oil flowed evenly out all four of the galleries, taking with it a bit more of the black crystals.

But still I have the reluctant hydraulic when cold. it seems to be fine for a few revolutions of the motor, then as the oil pressure kicks up to 7 bar, it starts to run lumpy and stalls. Once it warms up, it smooths out back to full power again. I will have to remove all the hydraulics to check the oil galleries and hopefully cleaning them will sort out this problem. I just hope that this muck has not got into the crank bearings, and I'd love to know where it came from. I did a complete overhaul of the block and head, and I did run a cleaner through all the galleries before final assembly. That motor was clean. I used a run in oil with an additive to break in the Chrome-molly rings and that oil was swapped out with 20W50 after about 200km, and a fresh oil filter.

When replacing the cam, I noticed that the cap nuts were not the original VW nuts and there are no steel washers. These nuts are from a sleeve anchor, (used for mounting things into concrete), they have little ribs under the nut and erode the aluminium when you turn the nuts without washers. I need to get a set of 8 nuts and 8 flat washers. I also I noticed one of the studs has had a bit of thread taken off, so I'll need to replace one stud as well. Can anyone help me with these nuts, washers and a stud? Thanks.
markfish888
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Re: Cam Cap bolt Nuts and Washers

Post by markfish888 »

IIRC, 8v are supposed to be M8 x 1.25pitch Tread . New multivalve stuff is M7 x 1 pitch.

Serrated flange nuts off a masonry sleeve anchor : Clown was in there previously.

A good fastener shop will have "manifold" studs M8, or you can use a long grub screw plain black one in high tensile ( running stud with Allen key).
Try to avoid cheap/badly Zink plated studs though, plating chips will come off.
Also ask for through hardened washers, not std mild steel ones. They will be marked with a "10" or "HV" on them

M7 studs: Bloody Agent/ GW/scrappy only, off the shelf is M8 only.
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!