Polo Vivo Coolant Temperature Sensor Issue

sa80
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Polo Vivo Coolant Temperature Sensor Issue

Post by sa80 »

Hi All,

My 2010 Polo Vivo has been struggling to start the past 2 months. Most of the time it cranks and barely manages to start but if it's really hot or cold then it won't catch at all. Once it does start, there are no issues with idling or power delivery while driving.

After browsing the forums extensively I first had the battery and starter checked which seemed to be fine, I then replaced the fuel pump relay and finally replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor the other day.

Unfortunately this was all to no avail. The car still does not start "strong" and if it is hot, as it has been recently, it will just keep cranking until I pump and floor the accelerator at which point it barely manages to catch and I have to over-rev it for it to stabilise.

I am wondering if it could be the actual wiring from the sensor to the ECU which could be a problem?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am at my wits end with this car! :crazy:
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Polo Vivo Coolant Temperature Sensor Issue

Post by mellos »

sa80 wrote:Hi All,

My 2010 Polo Vivo has been struggling to start the past 2 months. Most of the time it cranks and barely manages to start but if it's really hot or cold then it won't catch at all. Once it does start, there are no issues with idling or power delivery while driving.

After browsing the forums extensively I first had the battery and starter checked which seemed to be fine, I then replaced the fuel pump relay and finally replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor the other day.

Unfortunately this was all to no avail. The car still does not start "strong" and if it is hot, as it has been recently, it will just keep cranking until I pump and floor the accelerator at which point it barely manages to catch and I have to over-rev it for it to stabilise.

I am wondering if it could be the actual wiring from the sensor to the ECU which could be a problem?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am at my wits end with this car! :crazy:
Hi there I've been monitoring for responses here, I'm in the same boat with my polo and I reckon we should look into the wiring, what I did find is that turning the ignition on and off a few times makes it start sooner, did you come right by the way??

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

mellos wrote:
sa80 wrote:Hi All,

Hi there I've been monitoring for responses here, I'm in the same boat with my polo and I reckon we should look into the wiring, what I did find is that turning the ignition on and off a few times makes it start sooner, did you come right by the way??

By the way when I scan it on VCDS it says intermittent fault coolant temp sender but had it replaced twice already to no avail.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

change the plug. when you start getting issues like intermittend then it can often mean the pins in the plug is making bad contact
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

panic-mechanic wrote:change the plug. when you start getting issues like intermittend then it can often mean the pins in the plug is making bad contact
Ok thanks I will try and change the plug.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

buy a repair plug from VW. comes as a plastic housing and the wire and pin seperately
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

panic-mechanic wrote:buy a repair plug from VW. comes as a plastic housing and the wire and pin seperately
Ok thanks, is that what I must ask for?

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

yes
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

sa80
Enlisted

Post by sa80 »

Thanks for the response guys,

After a while of mulling it over in my mind, I've also come to the conclusion it must be wiring related. Will try to get a new plug and report back if it worked.

UPDATE: Before installing the new connector, I decided to check the continuity of the harness. Connected the positive to the pin and grounded to the engine block and measured 5V, also checked continuity of the earth pin - The only conclusion after checking that the sensor is reading a resistance drop when warming up and that the harness is fine, is that the ECT is not the cause of the starting struggles.

UPDATE 2: One thing I have noticed as well is that while the temperature gauge usually indicates 90 deg as normal, now and then it will actually go past the 130 deg maximum and almost sit "horizontally" as if it has reset itself past the maximum. I am not sure if this could be a related issue or not.
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

sa80 wrote:Thanks for the response guys,

After a while of mulling it over in my mind, I've also come to the conclusion it must be wiring related. Will try to get a new plug and report back if it worked.

UPDATE: Before installing the new connector, I decided to check the continuity of the harness. Connected the positive to the pin and grounded to the engine block and measured 5V, also checked continuity of the earth pin - The only conclusion after checking that the sensor is reading a resistance drop when warming up and that the harness is fine, is that the ECT is not the cause of the starting struggles.

UPDATE 2: One thing I have noticed as well is that while the temperature gauge usually indicates 90 deg as normal, now and then it will actually go past the 130 deg maximum and almost sit "horizontally" as if it has reset itself past the maximum. I am not sure if this could be a related issue or not.
Have you changed the plug and wiring yet I'm kind of eager to see if that was the cause, I don't have any fluctuating heat guage problem though just the intermittent starting problem

sa80
Enlisted

Post by sa80 »

Finally have a further update to this.

Sent the car into get it's annual service and asked the mechanic to run a diagnostic to see if he could pick anything up.

As always nothing was recorded, no problems with ECT or anything else however he did mention a bulletin came out for the Polo with regards to the throttle being an issue. After some fiddling he thinks that it may be sorted.

Problem is when driving it the day after service, the EPC light came up when pulling away from a robot and car went into limp mode. Had to stop and restart the car to get it to clear, the issue did not appear again the rest of the drive. (Never had this issue with the car before)

Mechanic said it may need to have the entire throttle body replaced.. not looking forward to that as I would hate to spend the money just for it to not work, but only time will tell.
Newbie6R
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by Newbie6R »

sa80 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm Finally have a further update to this.

Sent the car into get it's annual service and asked the mechanic to run a diagnostic to see if he could pick anything up.

As always nothing was recorded, no problems with ECT or anything else however he did mention a bulletin came out for the Polo with regards to the throttle being an issue. After some fiddling he thinks that it may be sorted.

Problem is when driving it the day after service, the EPC light came up when pulling away from a robot and car went into limp mode. Had to stop and restart the car to get it to clear, the issue did not appear again the rest of the drive. (Never had this issue with the car before)

Mechanic said it may need to have the entire throttle body replaced.. not looking forward to that as I would hate to spend the money just for it to not work, but only time will tell.
Did you manage to figure the problem out?