Go to golf 1.4i , timing

Denverg
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Go to golf 1.4i , timing

Post by Denverg »

:cry: help please you bunch of experts. 1.4i Citi. Car driving fine then just started feeling like it had no power. Then it wouldn't start. Checked the valve timing , all good. Car will not start if the distributor is in its normal position. I have to advance it quiet a lot before it will start. When ideling the revs are at 1300rpm or there about. If I move the distributor back to its normal position the ideling drops but the engine is rough and I can smell petrol fumes at the exhaust. Changed plugs and the rotor because it looked burnt. I am.pulling my hair out here. Please help. Thanks guys .
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Go to golf 1.4i , timing

Post by Ashveer03 »

Timing does not go off on its own unless something breaks or a bolt gets loose which is unlikely.

Give more details of the car. 1.4i mp9 or mpi?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Denverg
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by Denverg »

Thanks for the reply . I think its an Mp9. No cat .
It's just baffling why I have to advance the timing to start it , then retard it a bit just to drive. These cars are so basic that's why I love them but eish this issue has me between a rock and a hard place. Any advise will be appreciated.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well there are 2 things to check first..

1. Coolant temp sensor
2. Map sensor

Quite common for 1 of them to fail, or both. Lol

Without some sort of scan tool which u can view live data, it would be difficult to diagnose

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: