gPhilipC
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK5 tdi, Caddy Utility

Inconsistent idle

Post by gPhilipC »

Hi

I need some advice i have a 2l 8v caddy with spitronics management and throttles.
It started a few days ago with an inconsistent idle....
It revs up to 1500rpm and drops to 1000 and the whole thing repeats itself. Sometimes the idling wil stay at 1500 but most of the time it keeps hunting.

Whent through the vacuum lines. Not finding a leak.

Any advive? Probably mapping? Feul?
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
Yamaha RZ 350 YPVS Full racing spec motor
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
Jetta 2 1.8 (was in a sad state when i bought it)
1998 BMW 235 TDS (Respect for the diesel)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650
1996 Nissan 1400 AKA "scrappy"

Current Rides

2005 VW 1.9tdi - decat, and tune...
2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.
PoloB
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Model: POLO 6S

Re: Inconsistent idle

Post by PoloB »

Have you checked distributer/cap/ leads?
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
17 Inch A-Line Spree wheels
blou_poot
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: Chico golf 1.3+Vat

Post by blou_poot »

What i pick up on inconsistent idles is that sometimes the coil is not grounded or on its way out. |
Could be something else as well. Check in the dark while car is running if you see sparks around the coil and/or test with another coil.

Unfortunately it can also be a bunch of things vacuum is one but you checked that already. Now comes the fine of fault finding. Enjoy and let us know.
96' Chico 2.0 Carb
Win or lose, the War is not over.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

I take it the throttles is setup as TPS on Spitronics. If so, then check the TPS values when this happens.

If Spitronics is setup for MAP and this happens, check vacuum lines as others has suggested and then also check that the throttles are synchronized and all fully closed or have the same gap opening on idle on all 4 butterflies. I think you have one open more than the others causing this.

One other thing to check is vacuum leak between itb’s and manifold flange. What gaskets are you using on the itb’s to flanges?
gPhilipC
Enlisted

Post by gPhilipC »

Hi all.

I Got called away for work till the end of Aug. So the i just parked in the garage till then.

Before i let the caddy Idel and velt with my hand the suction through the throttles. Cylinder one seem to have lower vacuum compared to the others. I hade individual sponge filters on there and the one has n hole in it with a peace missing on cylinder 1. So i am not sure if it is connected but...

With all that you suggested i am going yo take them out, clean, inspect the butterfly openings and gaskets. An replace everything.

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure however on the gasket. I didn't build the motor myself. But it will be inspected.

Ill keep you updated.
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650

Current Rides

2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.
gPhilipC
Enlisted

Post by gPhilipC »

Update on the idling issue.

I took the throttles and the intake manufalt off, to find the gasket between the head and the intake falling appart. So i poped into GW for a new one and heded to Midas to get Valimooid for the gaskets beteen the throttles and intake.

I started cleaning and inspecting the parts befor i placed them back on the car. What i find shocked me; there was n hole about 2cm long and 5mm wide in the intake. The hole can't be seen from the outside. It is located where the bolt go through l.

Somewhat irriterend i phoned around to have it welled. I should have it back on Monday and will start reassembling everything. Sould solve all the problems.
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650

Current Rides

gPhilipC
Enlisted

Post by gPhilipC »

update and test drive.

car runs like a beast. I had to wait a week for the intake due to the nature of where the hole was, however it works. Put the car back together with all new gaskets and it is like i have a new car. she idles perfect, we as perfect as a 298cam can idle. Now for a dino and a map...

Thanks all.
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650

Current Rides