Hi All

liVin' Wild
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2009 Tenaciti 1.4i

Hi All

Post by liVin' Wild »

I'm new here looking for some advice, so here goes...I have a 2009 VW Golf Tenaciti 1.4i which is used as a daily runner however I do cover around 100+ kms a day due to work, I very often drive to Eastern Cape and back within a day because of work, basically I do around +-3000kms a month, milage is currently at 231542kms, I've decided that its time for an engine overhaul, I would like a little extra power on the freeway however car can't be too modified as I do get stopped by the police quiet frequently, what would be the most reliable method to go with in terms of having that extra power?

Should I do a rebore with bigger pistons or should I just drop in a second hand engine?
Don't really have a budget at the moment
Fuel is not an issue either

Thanks in advance for any advice
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Re: Hi All

Post by OettingerTDi »

liVin' Wild wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm I've decided that its time for an engine overhaul

Just a few points:

1. What made you decide it's time for an overall? Usually it is based on something wrong with the current engine. If so, point 2, if not, point 3.

2. The part about not having a budget might hamper you somewhat. Reboring, new pistons, tuning, etc. will cost you quite a bit and you could actually just rather do an engine replacement. Whichever option, you might be in for a rude surprise if all the figures are added, particularly if you need to have it done by someone else.

3. The alternative is to use the money you would have spent doing a conversion, sell the Citi and put it together for something more your liking, something comfortable with aircon, power steering and the like for your daily commute. Perhaps get a quote from a few places and weigh up the options.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

OettingerTDi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 pm
liVin' Wild wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm I've decided that its time for an engine overhaul

Just a few points:

1. What made you decide it's time for an overall? Usually it is based on something wrong with the current engine. If so, point 2, if not, point 3.

2. The part about not having a budget might hamper you somewhat. Reboring, new pistons, tuning, etc. will cost you quite a bit and you could actually just rather do an engine replacement. Whichever option, you might be in for a rude surprise if all the figures are added, particularly if you need to have it done by someone else.

3. The alternative is to use the money you would have spent doing a conversion, sell the Citi and put it together for something more your liking, something comfortable with aircon, power steering and the like for your daily commute. Perhaps get a quote from a few places and weigh up the options.
:iagree:
liVin' Wild
Enlisted

Post by liVin' Wild »

1. So I was stuck in traffic one of the days back in February and it was my second week at this current job therefore I was still on probation anyways i suspect my fan stopped working(could be wrong about this) and the engine began to heat up, so I then kept switching off and on whilst moving in traffic trying to keep it cool, I eventually ended up at the mechanic however it was too late apparently, the gasket had blown, there was no water in the radiator although some water was at the bottom of the tail pipe so being on probation with work I didn't tell them anything just replaced the head gasket and patched up the engine over the weekend, did not send the engine to the engineers, after that she's never been the same, takes a long time to reach desired speed and struggles a bit on steep inclines

2.The reason I don't really have a budget is because I really want reliability more than anything else even if it means spending a lot now and reaping the rewards later, what really bothers me the most is the mpi system, I don't mind going after market but then the reliable factor comes into play also with the mpi system I don't have a clue on how it will respond to either the rebore or another complete engine

3.Looking for another car seems like a good idea however I feel that this car is quite cheap maintenance wise compared to other cars, I know now it doesn't seem that way but what I mean is in the longer run however what would you think would be the best car for me in terms of my commute, taking into consideration being able to overtake comfortably on the freeway as well as maintenance
(would be sad to let her go)
FanMan
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 Tdi

Post by FanMan »

liVin' Wild wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 am
3.Looking for another car seems like a good idea however I feel that this car is quite cheap maintenance wise compared to other cars, I know now it doesn't seem that way but what I mean is in the longer run however what would you think would be the best car for me in terms of my commute, taking into consideration being able to overtake comfortably on the freeway as well as maintenance
(would be sad to let her go)
In my opinion, i would just go for a Tdi, Maybe a Polo/Golf Tdi. They are very light on diesel and they are "BulletProof" and fast (9N3). :driving:
So I think a Tdi would tick all your boxes, Cheap to maintain, comfortable to travel long distances , fast to overtake on the highway. I know you said petrol/diesel is not an issue as i suspect you might have a company card for those expenses, but you might save them money on the card, :grin:

I know it will be sad to let your TenaCiti go :hi: , As i had a 2009 CitiSport 1.4i and let it go and got a 2007 Polo 1.9Tdi, and never looked back, best decision i made ! :lol:

Hope this helps you, but remember at the end of the day it your decision and only yours. :hug:
Current : VW Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Big Turbo :driving:
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=216892

Previouse : :cool:
1. Vw Beetle 1.4 1974
2. Vw Beetle 1.6 1982
3. Opel Corsa Utility 1.4i 1999
4. Vw Golf City Sport 1.4i 2009
5. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Highline 2007
6. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline
7. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Classic
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

+1 on all the advice given above.

This sounds like your only ride and due to this you don't have time to muck around with conversions, least of all the inevitable issues that crop up along the way.

So, out with the old and in with the new(or newer...).
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
liVin' Wild
Enlisted

Post by liVin' Wild »

I have been thinking about the TDI however always believed it to be quite expensive on maintenance due to it being turbo charged(guess I was wrong) OK this may be a stupid question at what price should I be looking to pick up one? Also around what milage? I know there's a lot of other factors that can affect the price of the vehicle, I just want to have an estimate of what I should be looking for
FanMan
Cadet

Post by FanMan »

liVin' Wild wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:09 am I have been thinking about the TDI however always believed it to be quite expensive on maintenance due to it being turbo charged(guess I was wrong) OK this may be a stupid question at what price should I be looking to pick up one? Also around what milage? I know there's a lot of other factors that can affect the price of the vehicle, I just want to have an estimate of what I should be looking for
Im no expert here so dont quote me , only my opinion... :cool:
The lower the mileage the higher the price, the tdi's can go up to 300 000 km on the clock before major replacements and fixing be needed, higher if you look after it and service it when needed. But most tdi's owners have already done the replacements and fixing needed, so you can score on that when buying,

Prices go from 50k to 80k , for the really nice one's you will pay upward of 80k.

You can check the for sale section in the forum, I saw a nice 1.9 Tdi sedan with loads of extras, viewtopic.php?f=89&t=217016
Speak to @aristo92

1. Vw Beetle 1.4 1974
2. Vw Beetle 1.6 1982
5. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Highline 2007
6. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline
7. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Classic
liVin' Wild
Enlisted

Post by liVin' Wild »

Does look very nice however I really do prefer a hatch also I would rather buy a car that's close to standard as possible, thanks for the thread really gave me an idea of what I'm looking for, I'm leaning a lot more towards the TDI route now
FanMan
Cadet

Post by FanMan »

liVin' Wild wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 am Does look very nice however I really do prefer a hatch also I would rather buy a car that's close to standard as possible, thanks for the thread really gave me an idea of what I'm looking for, I'm leaning a lot more towards the TDI route now
You are very welcome.
Also check out the groups on FaceBook there is a lot of guys selling/buying
1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541564 ... =bookmarks
2. https://www.facebook.com/groups/109001295795055/
3. https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwosa1/

1. Vw Beetle 1.4 1974
2. Vw Beetle 1.6 1982