Fi conversion

Evin
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Fi conversion

Post by Evin »

Hi guys need some help I'm going to convert from carb to fi.on my golf2. I have most parts. Intake, injectors, loom and open ecu box. They say I only need to fit a feul injection pump from mk1 is any other easy to get this setup going. My golf is fiited with mp9 head all ready. Thnx in advance
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Fi conversion

Post by missioner »

Evin wrote:Hi guys need some help I'm going to convert from carb to fi.on my golf2. I have most parts. Intake, injectors, loom and open ecu box. They say I only need to fit a feul injection pump from mk1 is any other easy to get this setup going. My golf is fiited with mp9 head all ready. Thnx in advance
Use the search function.

Way to many threads regarding this topic.

Mk1 doesn't fit mk2. Get the correct setup for your car from a fuel injected mk2.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Saiendra
Criminal Troll.
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: 2019 Polo Vivo 1.4 C/Line

Post by Saiendra »

MK2 FI has a surge tank coupled with an intank lift pump.

Plenty info available on the search function.
Daily - Limestone Grey 2019 Volkswagen Polo Vivo 1.4 Comfortline.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If you fit a mk1 pump then everytime the tank gets half the car will start dying or surging and the pump will not last very long. You are making it suck fuel up from the tank which it is not designed to do. it will sort of work but give you trouble in the long run.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Hey guys after also this I have managed to get everything and converted my car to mp9. I managed to start the car. But now the idling is rough and smell of petrol is bad, spark plugs is sooty black which means is over feuling and the throttle body butterfly is moving when idling. I manage to fit the mk3 fi tank and work fine. I help on the idling please
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Evin wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 pm Hey guys after also this I have managed to get everything and converted my car to mp9. I managed to start the car. But now the idling is rough and smell of petrol is bad, spark plugs is sooty black which means is over feuling and the throttle body butterfly is moving when idling. I manage to fit the mk3 fi tank and work fine. I help on the idling please
You say, you got "everything" and converted to MP9. Well that does not tell us what is everything and whether it is from a 1.4 , 1.6 or even a 1.8 car. Please indicate from which car, sensors, manifold, distributor and etc. You will likely need to adapt the throttle body via set procedure and could or could not have missed a part or two for the full setup.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Ja that's the think I'm not sure from which I bought the set from my uncle he got all the parts. Its a short intake where need drill a hole for map sensor, 1.6 ecu open box and using my carb dizzy, the short loom don't have the connection plug in vag reader,
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Carb dissy with vacuum advance does not work well on MP9.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

A question do you plug in injector wire plugs in a certain way one the injectors . e.g which is injector one and two or does it not matter how you plug in
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Evin wrote:A question do you plug in injector wire plugs in a certain way one the injectors . e.g which is injector one and two or does it not matter how you plug in
Yeah it makes a difference where the plugs go.

You may have 2 swapped around.

Also get the FI dizzy. Timing is important on MP9, it has to be set using a specific procedure in order to get the dynamic timing control to work.

On that note post a list of all you have fitted to the car and a few pics of the engine as it stands now. Maybe we see something that can help solve your issue.

Another common reason for fueling issues is the temp sensor, though I think in your case it's more related to getting it setup right first.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

I'll try get fi dizzy tomorrow
The injector wires in color
Blue/white & red wires
Green/white & red wires
Black/green & red wires
Green & red wires

Im struggling to load some

Thnx in advance guys
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Yes guys so got my conversion running and everything is looking. Change the distributor and seems to work well.
I have driven car for the first time after since conversion , my problems I had when I pull away it stall in gears 1-5th gear,. So I advance the and got better results only problem now, is that revs go up and down after a few seconds of normal idling. Have installed a new water temp switch and other map sensor. Thanks for the help gus you help me alot
ely862me
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months

Post by ely862me »

Hi Evin!
We just installed a 2.08v head and injection system on a 1.6 converted to 1.8L carburetor and it stalls . Did you advance the timing to make this problem go away? Thanks!
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Yes I just advanced the timing on distributor, are you running FI now?
ely862me
Enlisted

Post by ely862me »

Hmm, my brother says it must be related to the crankshaft rotation sensor. He mounted the sprocket and sensor outside near the timing belt.
Yes, he runs the fuel injection now, although runs is too much said. He tested it a bit but runs improper and it also gets like a rev limiter at about 5500 rpm. Your problem seemed like ours but I am not sure it's the same.
Thanks for the info!
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Yes, can be but not sure, I'm running it with short loom and open box, so I don't have the crank sensor, but check all sensors it is a real struggle, and don't use the carb dizzy that was my biggest problem. Good luck guys
ely862me
Enlisted

Post by ely862me »

He is using the distributor from the 2.0l, so that shouldn't be a problem. Many thanks!
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

ely862me wrote:He is using the distributor from the 2.0l, so that shouldn't be a problem. Many thanks!
There is your problem exactly.

The 2.0l distributor doesn't fit properly into a short block.

The long block has a larger diameter opening for the distributor vs the short block. This is super important as the distributor shaft drives the oil pump.

Mk3 distributor for the 1.6/8l will fit the motor right and be plug and play for the MP9 EFI.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Yes guys. I need some with my conversion.

I had a nice run with the for 6months and now have a problem, wit misfiring. Few weeks ago I replaced plugs and new plugs and feul filelter, after I already serviced a week before. So that changes help me for two weeks

And now it starting again as soon as it gets hot it misfire and no power replaced the 4pin water and still the same. Ecu is fine cause I plug it our jetta and drives fine

Please guys any help

Thanx in advance
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

Could be a cracked coil
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Thank you, will check it tomorrow need some rest
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Also check fuel pressure. If you buy a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge kit and a 6mm "T" piece, join it into the feed to the fuel rail. Anything less that 3 Bar or 45psi is bad.
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Thanks for all the solutions, it does not seem to be the coil. But yesterday after cleaning the injectors and somehow tighting the tapped cover screws and upplug the knock sensor. The running fine, but will do some more work today just to make sure. Thanks guys
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Finaly everything seem to fine now, car is driving much better seems to just dirty injectors. Thanks a lot guys for help.

Is there any way to connect to ecu. I have the sort loom with out the ecu port. And if I might get a port how will connect the wires any help on this
Evin
Cadet

Post by Evin »

Yes guys with the setup with my car by converting to FI,

Need some advice on OBD, PORT, is it possible to wire up the OBD port to my short loom, if so will I be able to checks faults if im running into problems,