Jetta 3 CSX 1.8i - Help!!!

Kaven96
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Jetta 3 CSX 1.8i - Help!!!

Post by Kaven96 »

Gents I have a list of questions I need some advice on. The car in nature is my Jetta 3 CSX 1.8i. The list is as follows.

1. Timing belt slipped on full throttle close to redline. Eventually was quoted R1600 to replace belt and do timing. Eventually bought a belt from township Hyper for R60. Did the timing myself with the help of friends and a mechanic. Costed less that R200 as I paid R140 for new spark plugs as the car didn't want to start even with correct timing. Also biggest mistake of my life was to remove the distributor. All in all car started and is mobile. Yet vehicles idles is dipping and car is really sluggish compared to when I first had it.

2. Car is smoking (white smoke) someone said my head gasket is failing or I could have damaged the engine when the cam belt slipped.

3. What's the price to rebuild the engine on this car or is it advisable to just throw in a new engine?

4. Also I think my mountings are going. Reason being if I just tap the accelerator on first or second the car jerks heavy then smooth ride there after if I let of the accelerator it jerks again. The jerking is violent.

5. When I brake heavy squeaking even with new pads. When I turn it sounds like something is touching or grinding.

6. All in all what would be the cost of overhauling this car engine if I had to have it rebuild. A friend suggested a cam 268 or 276. Aswell and doing a port and polish.

7. Where can I get a wire tuck done and someone trust worthy to wash the engine bay. I stay in Chatsworth Durban.

8. My alternator screams for its life when the car is running. I think the bushes are gone. Get a new one or get the old one serviced.

All in all I know if would be better to sell her but seeing as this is my first car and it's a late 1999 model jetta which is hard to come by I decided to keep her. Alot of memories and plenty gaps given. Stock standard I think with an exhaust. I'll post a photo below:

https://ibb.co/4MJXSYr
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Jetta 3 CSX 1.8i - Help!!!

Post by missioner »

Kaven96 wrote:Gents I have a list of questions I need some advice on. The car in nature is my Jetta 3 CSX 1.8i. The list is as follows.

1. Timing belt slipped on full throttle close to redline. Eventually was quoted R1600 to replace belt and do timing. Eventually bought a belt from township Hyper for R60. Did the timing myself with the help of friends and a mechanic. Costed less that R200 as I paid R140 for new spark plugs as the car didn't want to start even with correct timing. Also biggest mistake of my life was to remove the distributor. All in all car started and is mobile. Yet vehicles idles is dipping and car is really sluggish compared to when I first had it.

2. Car is smoking (white smoke) someone said my head gasket is failing or I could have damaged the engine when the cam belt slipped.

3. What's the price to rebuild the engine on this car or is it advisable to just throw in a new engine?

4. Also I think my mountings are going. Reason being if I just tap the accelerator on first or second the car jerks heavy then smooth ride there after if I let of the accelerator it jerks again. The jerking is violent.

5. When I brake heavy squeaking even with new pads. When I turn it sounds like something is touching or grinding.

6. All in all what would be the cost of overhauling this car engine if I had to have it rebuild. A friend suggested a cam 268 or 276. Aswell and doing a port and polish.

7. Where can I get a wire tuck done and someone trust worthy to wash the engine bay. I stay in Chatsworth Durban.

8. My alternator screams for its life when the car is running. I think the bushes are gone. Get a new one or get the old one serviced.

All in all I know if would be better to sell her but seeing as this is my first car and it's a late 1999 model jetta which is hard to come by I decided to keep her. Alot of memories and plenty gaps given. Stock standard I think with an exhaust. I'll post a photo below:

https://ibb.co/4MJXSYr
First off stop messing about.

Take the car to a decent mechanic to get the timing properly sorted out. The Mk3 works differently to a Citi as the OBD plug needs to be bridged in order to shoot the ignition timing after a cam belt change. Resetting the timing is mandatory unless one wants the car to be dog slow. This should also sort out the smoking issue if its timing is very out.

2nd Mk3 front engine mounting is known to fail from time to time. Get a new one from Goldwagen. The other brands are rubbish by comparison. OEM is NLA.

3rd Dont waste time hotting up the motor, the mk3 is a whale. As in it is literally over a tonne unladen. Compare to a velo's 860kg. You could put R50k into the 8 valve motor and you would still get chopped by a stock 1.4.
If you have to have a fast Mk3, swap in a 1.8 20VT and turn it up to 11. The fully built 8v U-flow motor makes the same power as what a 1.8T does in stock form. Hot 20V makes nearly 300kW on stock conrods and over 450kW with BT and forged internals. This is Mk7R territory.

Lastly, before you open your wallet to spend on go faster parts, its vital to your continued existence to make sure the brakes and suspension are up to scratch. This means that if your aim is to keep the car standard, then it's easy, fix it with good quality standard parts.

If faster is the only way forward, then start by buying another car to daily. Once the work starts it can take months (even years) to get it working enough to drive again. Also because the car is modified there is always something that is broken or breaks every time it's taken out for a drive. This route costs lots of money and time, if there is a shortage of either then the car will stand for ages until its sold as spares.

Short version (TLDR) keep the car stock if you can and if not be prepared to spend big money. Do lots of research on the route you want to take if any, it will save you bucket loads in school fees.

Sharp
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Kaven96
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by Kaven96 »

Thanks alot for your help bru. Can I PM you and chat abit more. I'd like to discuss the engine swap.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Stay in touch using the forum.

As far as questions go please search for a thread by Thanas. He swapped the 1.8T into a Mk2 CSX hatch. The chassis is very similar so most of the mechanical hurdles are covered there.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+