Mk3 CLI - Rev counter and oil light connected to TSZ-H

Bravick
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Mk3 CLI - Rev counter and oil light connected to TSZ-H

Post by Bravick »

Good day all,

I have read throught a few similar threads on the forum, but none were of any help to me. I hope to find some help with this thread for my specific case.

I bought the car for my son about 3 months ago, but it was cutting out randomly. It is now sorted after replacing a few things and is running perfectly incl fuel consumption.

The car is fitted with a 2E engine with Digifant management as stock. One of the things that were installed is a TSZ-H (PT100?) module to handle the ignition side of things. It was installed with a brand new harness for it from Goldwagen. It is working perfectly, except the rev counter is not working and oil light is flashing.

I few things to note:

The original 3 pin coil was reused, except that the 3 pin connector was not used. The blue (switched negative) wire from the TSZ-H is connected to the coil stud (No1) with the pink wire from the TSZ-H connected directly to the coil stud (No 15), as well as the thick black wire (+12v) from the original Digifant harness. The remaining thick brown wire (Gnd) and thin green wire (pulsed signal) that was also originaly connected to the coil's 3 pin connector is not used. The thin green wire used to be the middle pin on this connector.

The grey earth wire from the TSZ-H module has been properly earthed to the engine, with the original earth strap that runs to the coils outer housing.

The hall pickup in the distributor is now plugged in to the new harness of the TSZ-H, with the exception that the original thin green wire that was part of the Digifant's hall connector is now also spliced in to the green (middle) wire of the new harness (done by a mechanic, not me). The other 2 wires of the Digifant harness are not connected. They are red/black and brown/white or black/white (can't remember). I did not connect them as I measured a constant 12v between them, with the ignition switched on. Should i connect the groun wire as well to the ground wire coming from the TSZ-H?

The TSZ-H has 7 pins, but only 6 has wires in the harness. Pin 7 is not connected.

I tried connecting the thin green wire on the coil's side to the switched negative on the coil, but it had no effect. I also made a temp connection between this thin green wire and the unused pin 7 on the TSZ-H on the module, as was suggested alsewhere, but also had no effect

On the wiring diagram, this thin green wire connected to the the middle pin of the the original 3 pin connector of the coil is indicated as red/black, but it is not.

I am no autoelec, but I am an EE by trade, so know how to trace and fault find. I would rather ask here, than risk doing damage by more experimenting.

Your kind assistance will be much appreciated.

Regards,
GideonImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Re: Mk3 CLI - Rev counter and oil light connected to TSZ-H

Post by Killerwatt »

Nice diagram, really helps to follow what you are saying.
Firstly what was the reason to install the TP100 module? The 3pin coil has an internal amplifier so this is a bit redundant. It was a bit difficult to follow what you were saying regarding the wiring but your picture shows that the digifant ecu has no control over the ignition advance anymore.

Having said that, pin 7 on the tp100 is usually the rev counter output. I think you need to do some more digging on the wiring changes to understand what the mechanic done. The oil pressure switch wiring should not have been affected so something else might be wrong.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yup. You now have static timing advance so it will feel nice and dead at anything but idle. The red/black that you have found disconnected is the actual rev counter wire. That rpm out wouldnhave come form the digifant to the cluster and really had no reason to be disconnected.
The oil pressure is flashing becuase the rev counter is not working. Resore rpm and the oil pressure warning will go away. Perhaps what would be better would be to install an aftermarket system if there were issues with the digifant.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bravick
Enlisted

Post by Bravick »

Killerwatt wrote:Nice diagram, really helps to follow what you are saying.
Firstly what was the reason to install the TP100 module? The 3pin coil has an internal amplifier so this is a bit redundant. It was a bit difficult to follow what you were saying regarding the wiring but your picture shows that the digifant ecu has no control over the ignition advance anymore.

Having said that, pin 7 on the tp100 is usually the rev counter output. I think you need to do some more digging on the wiring changes to understand what the mechanic done. The oil pressure switch wiring should not have been affected so something else might be wrong.
Hi,

The intermittend cutting out was caused by something on the Digifants ignition side. After fitting the PT100, the problem disappeared. It has done 2000km since.

The digifant still does the fuel injection though, with no issues. I get about 12.5 - 13.5km/l on the open road.

The issue is not he hall sender, as it has been replaced and the same one is now working perfectly with the PT100.

The oil light and rev counter not working are interlinked. I have read this on several forums where guys have fitted aftermarket management systems. As soon as the rev counter works, the oil light goes out.

I have reconnected the Digifant ignition side, but then the problem returns. (I do have a brand new 3 pin coil as well as the one currently installed). VAG shows no errors during diagnostics. When the car dies while driving, the rev counter still works, so to me that also means the hall sender is working. There is however no spark. All of this is of course with the Digifant doing the ignition.

I have now reinstalled the PT100 using a brand new harness with all connections properly crimped as well as soldered and heatshrinked. This I have done myself after removing the wiring done by the mechanic that looked like the illegal Eskom transformer connections. (His installation worked fine though, I'm just full of crap). Rev counter did not work with either installation. Only works with Digifant connected.

I am not interrested in getting the Digifant ignition working. I have spent many hours and $ on the subject and have put it out of my mind. I will not trust it, as the problem is random. I can not have my young son stranded in traffic.

The car pulls strong with the PT100, so there is no performance or consumption issue. Also no pinging.

I just need to get the rev counter working.

Ps. I found the diagram on the net. Some wire colours are different on my harness, but the pin numbers all goes to the right places.

I have read that the pin 7 is the rev counter output. I can install a wire there that I can remove from the old mechanics harness, but where do I connect it to? It's not the thin green wire that used to connect to the middle pin of the 3 pin plug on the coil that was used with the Digifant.

Kind regards,
Gideon

Last edited by Bravick on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bravick
Enlisted

Post by Bravick »

panic-mechanic wrote:Yup. You now have static timing advance so it will feel nice and dead at anything but idle. The red/black that you have found disconnected is the actual rev counter wire. That rpm out wouldnhave come form the digifant to the cluster and really had no reason to be disconnected.
The oil pressure is flashing becuase the rev counter is not working. Resore rpm and the oil pressure warning will go away. Perhaps what would be better would be to install an aftermarket system if there were issues with the digifant.
Hi,

Are you talking about the red/black wire at the hall senders side?

There is no red/black on the coil side.

I don't know why or how, but the car now pulls stronger than it ever did on the Digifant. I do not have another CLI or GTI to compare it to, but it is definitely not lazy.

Regards,
Gideon

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Fixed timing will never run as well as it should. Glad for you if you are happy though. I have a digifant wiring diagram at home somewhere , will see if I can find the rev counter wire from the box then you can trace that.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bravick
Enlisted

Post by Bravick »

panic-mechanic wrote:Fixed timing will never run as well as it should. Glad for you if you are happy though. I have a digifant wiring diagram at home somewhere , will see if I can find the rev counter wire from the box then you can trace that.
That would be much appreciated. You may have a better one than me. Bravick1 at gmail dot com.

This is what my wiring diagram shows for the original coil connection. The wiring diagram I have is for a 94 Golf Mk3. The middle red/black on the diagram is green on my car. Solid black and solid brown is both there, with solid black being +12 (from ignition switch) to the coil and PT100. This black wire also joins up with a black/white wire that connect between pin 38 on ecu and the vehicle speed sensor. All this according to the diagram I have.

The wiring diagram shows red/black all the way back to the ecu pin 8 from the coil, but like I said, my wire is green.

Now on the hall senders side, the diagram shows the colours as black, green and red. On my car I have brown/white, green and red/black. (Original Digifant harness). The mechanic cut off the original hall sender connector (for reasons only he will know) and I can not get it out of him, so I am unsure which wire went to which pin.

Green traces back to pin 68 and red to pin 67 om the ecu according to the diagram. Black goes to ground.

I dont know if any of this info will help.

This car was registered the first time on 01/01/1995, so I assume it is a late 94 model.

I am unable to attach the pdf of the diagram I am using. It is hosted by Tapatalk as a .zip file, so I hope you can access it. If not, I can email it to you.

Regards,
GImageImage//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5caf09455f652/GOLF3_94.zip

Ryanmd
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Ryanmd »

Good day. I also have an issue similar to this. The same setuo was done to my car with the tp100 module amd 3pin coil that was cut just to use the coil part of it. Car dtove to me when i bought it. All i did was change the rear main seal and clutch due to a leak. After i assembled again the car dont start. I troubleshooted and found that the injectors do not pulse. I have tested with another std ecu and the its the same. I have now tested signals with an led light for pulse and there is no pulse from the ecu to the injectors on the negative (brown/yellow wire) from ecu. Tested signal from dizzy to ecu amd it pulses amd there is spark. Fuel pressure is also there but the injectors still do not pulse. Can anyone perhaps advise what could be the fault here or any other ways of testing this? I have done a diagnostic test on both ecu units aswell and there are no faults this far. Onky thing im battling with if the injectors that do not pulse. Is tyere no way i can utilize signal from somewhere for this? I tried from the dizzy but there is no signal sharing. Would a resister be adviseable to use here otlr perhaps a decend proper fix?

Any advise would be much appreciated. Even a manual on digifant aswell.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Trace injector wiring back from injectors to ecu to ensure all are still connected where it should be. You might have disconnected the wires during your work you have done.
Ryanmd
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Ryanmd »

Hi. I have done that.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk