flash23
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta Cli

Mk3 gti engine management advise

Post by flash23 »

so i have mk3 gti with the 2.0 2e digi motor

fuel consumption is terrible, averaging around 17l/100km and it just feels sluggish.i know that the mk3 gti's were never really "athletes" but it just

everything is in working order in terms of sensors and such but im still not getting any joy

this a daily car so im not looking for big power figures and was wondering whether it would be worth it to go with an Engine management system instead and have a few questions

1. i have 8k budget for this, will this be enough to get management and have it fitted and tuned?

2. if i go management would this improve fuel economy whatsoever?

3.can i use a different MAF with management? i currently have the digi one and i would prefer the pipe type ones so i could go cone filter

4.only mod i have on the car is branches and exhaust, no cam or anything, should i look at any other mods while im at it?

5.am i better off just saving up for 1.8t? i know if i fit the management know that should be 1 less thing later if i go this route, what would be a rough budget for this type of conversion, i would prefer not to do this myself as i would like it done proper one time

any advise on this would be highly appreciated
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Mk3 gti engine management advise

Post by Jetta2 »

Perfect Power XMS and get Panic to fit and tune it.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Cone filters are only good for filtering out rocks from the induction and definately not something I would reccomend for a daily if you want the engine to last.

Aftermarket engine management is a good direction to look at as finding new parts, like the Air Flow Meter for example, is getting harder and more expensive.

If you do go that way I would absolutely reccomend Panic for this. Look him up in the forum advertisement section.

Personally I feel the problem with your car is either related to the Air Flow Meter or to a coolant temp sensor.

Check those out first then go from there.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
flash23
Cadet

Post by flash23 »

missioner wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:50 pm Cone filters are only good for filtering out rocks from the induction and definately not something I would reccomend for a daily if you want the engine to last.

Aftermarket engine management is a good direction to look at as finding new parts, like the Air Flow Meter for example, is getting harder and more expensive.

If you do go that way I would absolutely reccomend Panic for this. Look him up in the forum advertisement section.

Personally I feel the problem with your car is either related to the Air Flow Meter or to a coolant temp sensor.

Check those out first then go from there.
okay so maybe no cone filter but a simpler airbox, say off the MP9 models would be better

the thing is its gradually getting worse which may be air flow meter but i clean this regurlarly with electric contact cleaner and im very gentle, but as you said these are getting expensive to replace and the digi is a bit dated in my opinion. also temp sensor was replaced 2 weeks back

im in the durban area so i think getting the car to Panic is a bit of a stretch
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

I see.

Give DubCorp a call. Rob is in Westville so much more accessible vs Panic.

Top notch service.

If he can't fix your car he will know someone who can.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Start by checking the power supply relay for the management. Vague memory recall says the number might be 35 or something like that. When those fial they get stupid heavy on fuel.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
flash23
Cadet

Post by flash23 »

its relay number 30, i checked around for a replacement but cant seem to find anyone who has it, will be going to see some used spares this weekend

i opened the relay i have though and noticed some cracked soldering so i resoldered it and will monitor it for the rest of the week to see