Power suggestion ?

Gavi turbo
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Power suggestion ?

Post by Gavi turbo »

Im crazy about vw I have a 2.0 8v carb the cyl head has been ported and gasflow to the max it has also been skimmed 2 times , 260 cut cam , standard carb , 5speed box. I dont really have alot of money so thinking about getting racing carb (weber 38/40dcd) and installing t3 turbo , thinking of boosting 0.6 bar. What kind of power can I expect from this build with everything I've mentioned ?
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Re: Power suggestion ?

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi this might not be the info u looking for but I would suggest you go the fuel injection route.since u already skimmed the head u increased the compression and turbo cars require low compression not high so u would need a new head and the standard piston won't do any justice .take that same money buy urself a set of individual throttle bodies (itb's) cost about R2000-R3000 they come of the Toyota corolla rsi and rxi and also get urself a dictator management system price varies from R3000 up or 2nd hand is cheaper ...get a electronic fuel pump and Velo fuel tank and I think u will make more power that way than a turbo set up in ur case ...turbo set up is a pain unless it's done professionally trust me... just my 2c
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Gavi turbo
Enlisted

Post by Gavi turbo »

Thanks for the info and I understand what you're saying but already got turbo and turbo manifold and intercooler it was a gift so kinda already going that direction but before I turbo would just like to know what kinda power I mite make
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

There are plenty 8V turbo's running around, and every single one I have seen has had at least 30K chucked at them.
There is no cheap way to go the turbo route.

And going the carb route on a turbo setup will cause more headaches than smiles, guaranteed.
Rather save yourself the mental pain and the money pit that you are thinking of, and rather save up money first, then build a proper turbo setup.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Agree 100% with jetta2 even the proper way sometimes is a headache to turbo up a motor that is not meant to be turbod...about 5 years ago i owned a Velo with g60 supercharged 8v motor which I bought from a family member Who thought that it would be better to import the motor coz it's built for boost about 20k later it ran nice until the supercharger gave in he then took of the setup and turbod it tdo4h coz it worked out cheaper I then bought the car as a toy and started to work on it ...a month later turbo shaft snaps due to low oil pressure so I put in a gt28/t3 oil and water cooled turbo new oil pump and few other stuff car was very strong on 1.0 to 1.2 bar then gearbox synchro and gears started to brake 3 times in 3 months and then cv joints started to brake and then engine mounting and on and on and on so I fixed it all up and sold it ...moral of the story is don't just think that u going to turbo it and all will be fine u must still strengthen the box get proper cv engine mounts and the list goes on if u trying to do a budget build it will never work out .ur question about how much power u will make... u won't make any power coz I doubt u will even get a chance to get to the dyno if u lucky u will get 70kw on that carb setup ...sell that setup that u have and go the normally aspirated way ...u will be much happier,shed less tears , save alot of money and make much more than 70kw a buddy of mine has a 1800 8v with itbs and I'm guaranteed it's a 120kw+ car might be even much much more than that cost him about 20k the proper time consuming way for the build excluding motor that was already in the car on the 1/4 Mile the gti5 and 6 doesn't stand a chance ...sorry for such a long msg I'm just bored at work lol
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Blow through carb systems is not simple at all. I did alot of digging years ago.

Most of the carb components will have to be changed, the only carbs that u can find for boosted applications is a holley 4 barrel, getting that to adapt to your engine will be a pain, and that's import only.

And with the exchange rate now, I'm sure it would be cheaper going efi than using the holley anyway.

Tuning is also a nightmare, would make life so easy just to upgrade injectors/fuel pump and compensate for it on the ecu rather than monitoring afr's on a Gauge and swapping our jets the whole time then worrying about whether the carb is gonna leak boost or not from opening it up a thousand times

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Carb and turbo charging has been done lots of times. I even built and drove a hilux 2.4 petrol that way and drove it for years and years. It was never light on fuel though but it worked just fine. It was an absolute pain in the ass to sort out initially though.
You can use a dellorto DRLA carb with emulsion tubes and a proper turbo top hat but they are basically impossible to find these days.
Here is an article of what it takes.
https://aircooledgrouch.wordpress.com/2 ... -mixed-in/
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Gavi turbo
Enlisted

Post by Gavi turbo »

I guess I understand fuel injection is better at the end of the day but the thing is I know almost nothing about fuel injection and way more about carburetors and going carb turbo is going to be cheaper for me because I already got most of the parts for it I know it can be done because one of my friends had a carburetor turbo golf and he had no problems at all and even if I do run this setup I wil eventually make it a point to learn more about fuel injection and build something bigger and better , think of this setup as a entry-level turbo toy something to play with
Last edited by Gavi turbo on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Ugh. I hate modern day shortening of words and lack of punctuation. Is it simply not taught anymore or are people just lazy?
I had to read that like 5 times and just gave up.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Gavi turbo
Enlisted

Post by Gavi turbo »

Just lazy and theres like one word that I shortened