mike65
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1

Do's and dont's on tdi crank

Post by mike65 »

Hi guys :hi:

So I am buzy building a 2.1 or just to over 2090cc engine. Which I would like to extract the most hp out of it yet using it as a daily. Parts i need so far are the pulleys and gasket set then all parts needs to go to engineering then I can do a dummy fit to make sure no damage will occur or just complete the build. I would also like to do a complete build thread on the engine and go alot more into detail when doing so but at a later stage. So let me get to the questions.

1. What are the do's and dont's when it comes to the crank? like dont do knife edge and so on...

2. My build consists of the usual long block with 038c crank and astina pistons. Would 84mm pistons be a better option in achieving the true 2.1 and will it be worth all the machining to change from 83.5 to 84mm? Note my block is already bored to 83.5mm.

3. I am from Port Elizabeth can anyone point me to whom i can go for Nitriding if necessary?

More questions to follow thanks.
Watch this space
mike65
Cadet

Re: Do's and dont's on tdi crank

Post by mike65 »

No input?
Watch this space
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

Im almost there its just the final little details I want to know...dont want to open again to do changes

Sent from my SM-J200F using Tapatalk

Watch this space
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

As far as i know, knife edging is not as easy as it may seem and very few people out there can do it properly. Wont gain you much power, and will cause a loss of torque, but engine will rev up much quicker.

Have a read thru this thread, think it was discussed in here: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=95960
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

I have a tdi crank in my 2.1 16v motor, running 84mm pop up pistons. My comb is very high, but I wanted it like this. Currently sitting on 16 000 km on my motor. Been my daily for the past 9 months. Motor built 2 years ago.

My bottom is balanced, but not knifed edged. Sarel from 8 valve performance in jhb built my engine for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s