Citi golf 1.4i power issue

Ben182
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Citi golf 1.4i power issue

Post by Ben182 »

Sup guys, please assist. I drive a Citi 1.4i, whenever I set the btdc to the standard +-6 degrees, it idles perfectly but has no power at all, struggles to go up a slight elevated drive way in 1st gear. Had to advance it to +-15 degrees and it had loads of power, would cruise up to 160km/h level surface and maintain good speed uphill, however I drove it to Durbz and about half way into the journey it started losing power and failing to pass 120km/h on an even surface.....what could be wrong? Changed throttle body, distributor cap, and the car is coming from a full service.
MK1 2.0 16v, Mk5 2.0 GTi, Kia Cerato Hatch 2011 2.0
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Re: Citi golf 1.4i power issue

Post by Dub rox »

Ben182 wrote:Sup guys, please assist. I drive a Citi 1.4i, whenever I set the btdc to the standard +-6 degrees, it idles perfectly but has no power at all, struggles to go up a slight elevated drive way in 1st gear. Had to advance it to +-15 degrees and it had loads of power, would cruise up to 160km/h level surface and maintain good speed uphill, however I drove it to Durbz and about half way into the journey it started losing power and failing to pass 120km/h on an even surface.....what could be wrong? Changed throttle body, distributor cap, and the car is coming from a full service.
Hi. The timing marks have to be at tdc. Both the mark on the cam pulley and the mark on the flywheel awell as do the no1 on the dizzy.

After you fitted everything and nothing moved , you put the ecu in timing mode and set the ignition timing 6° advance, NOT with a static timing light.

You should be sorted then.

Sounds like your timing belt might have slipped or the dizzy moved on your current predicament. Remember that the timing belt should be able to move 90°in each direction after tightening.

There should be a link here somewhere....

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Ben182
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Ben182 »

Thanks Dub Rox, not very technical myself will get someone to do it exactly as you say. Is it ok for me to keep driving the car set at +-15 degrees at least until I'm back in Joburg - might have to push it back there with those steep slopes kkkk.
MK1 2.0 16v, Mk5 2.0 GTi, Kia Cerato Hatch 2011 2.0
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

Ben182 wrote:Thanks Dub Rox, not very technical myself will get someone to do it exactly as you say. Is it ok for me to keep driving the car set at +-15 degrees at least until I'm back in Joburg - might have to push it back there with those steep slopes kkkk.
Would not advise you to do so, rather get it checked out at a reputable mech...

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect