Gear selection issues

my_citi1.8i
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Gear selection issues

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Hi All,

I have been experiencing difficulty engaging gears to a point where the gears would not engage at all. Clutch was replaced in april(LUK) but eversince then i have been replacing release bearings on a 1.5 month bases. I was told that the apologies for the incorrect word - '5th gear cover housing' where the release bearing sits in. This was replaced on Sunday and the car could still not get gears but I was told that it wont break release bearings again. Then we setup an appointment for Tuesday as I was advised that the 'push rod' was stuck and gearbox needed to be removed to replace it. I was cool with that and on Monday morning the clutch started slipping. I then got a new clutch kit and the clutch was replaced on tuesday along with the new push rod etc. I drove the car yesterday and it had this vibration when the car was at a halt in first gear but when the car was in motion there were no vibrations. This morning on my way to work the vibrations got a bit more intense to a point where you could like hear a 'clicking/engaging' noise that clutch was like trying to find a grip and when i engaged a gear there was a grinding noise while the clutch was still engaged. When i got to the office and switched the car off and on and the car would not engage in any gears. I was back to the same issue before the casing and clutch was done. What could be the cause. Could the vibrations caused by a mounting issue which now led to this issue? I already informed the mechanic and advised to bring the car this evening.

Just seeking advice.

Thanks Guys.
T
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Gear selection issues

Post by panic-mechanic »

A) if this is a repeated issue I suggest trying a different mechanic.
b) I suggest trying a different mechanic.
c) maybe try a different mechanic.
D) maybe don't go back to the same guy.
e) out of ideas.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 am A) if this is a repeated issue I suggest trying a different mechanic.
b) I suggest trying a different mechanic.
c) maybe try a different mechanic.
D) maybe don't go back to the same guy.
e) out of ideas.

LOL - no man. Not the same mechanic. This is a 'gearbox mechanic'. Same mechanic who replaced the casing on Sunday. I was going to post the car for sale today seeing the gears was sorted after the clutch replacement. sigh
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

But you posted about this before. ?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am But you posted about this before. ?.
yes, i did post before but this is kinda of a different symptoms now and I took it to a 'gearbox mechanic'
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

hi all,

just an update. the rivets came off the clutch plate. clutch was replaced last week tuesday. replaced with a new clutch plate. took it for a drive this afternoon. drove fine on the highway but in traffic the clutch peddle went all the way down to the floor and i struggled. is this normal. should i wait it out abit for it to settle. the previous clutch plate lasted 190km and the rivits came lose. i will see tomorrow in traffic again.
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Donavan »

you need to adjust the cable abit
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

my_citi1.8i wrote:hi all,

just an update. the rivets came off the clutch plate. clutch was replaced last week tuesday. replaced with a new clutch plate. took it for a drive this afternoon. drove fine on the highway but in traffic the clutch peddle went all the way down to the floor and i struggled. is this normal. should i wait it out abit for it to settle. the previous clutch plate lasted 190km and the rivits came lose. i will see tomorrow in traffic again.
This mech is drilling you thrue the ears mate. Ither that or you have to ease up on the R1's

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect