Tatsumaru777
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Golf 2004i

Cold start and overheating issue

Post by Tatsumaru777 »

Hi :hi: ,

I am new to this site and looking for some advice. I have a Golf 2004i. Recently it has been struggling to start when the car is cold, indicating that there is some kind of cold start issue. Once I get the car started it would run smooth without issue. From yesterday the heat gauge started to move to the right. I am not sure if the 2 issues are related to one another. The car would only struggle to start after it has not run for +- 5 hours, otherwise it would start easily. Do you know what it can be? I am not sure why it is also overheating now.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Cold start and overheating issue

Post by PapaJo »

When last was your car serviced? Could be a few things and you need to give more info on mileage, last serviced, what was replaced during service.

Leaking fuel rail or injector could be the problem, but you can only track the origin by starting to do some basic troubleshooting yourself.

As for the overheating problem, does the cars water need to be topped up regularly and are there leaks on the system? Does the cooling fan kick in?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Cold start and overheating issue

Post by panic-mechanic »

Need a lot more info. Like which engine. Some had a common issue with failed thermostats and water temp sender both of which can lead to your problem. Need to get it to somebody that can do diagnosis.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.