PoloB
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: POLO 6S

Removing catalytic converter

Post by PoloB »

Hi,

Has anyone removed the cat on their vehicles any advice if I want to remove mine what needs to stay and what can go?

What is the implication of removing the cat, any warning lights etc. that would need to be cancelled?

Reason for asking is my exhaust silencer box first one after engine has cracked open at the seam (apparently a common polo problem) vehicle just done 36756km still under warranty but don't really care as I would rather want to go with performance setup as the OEM sounds terribly kak!!!(Only 2 months left of warranty anyway)

So I was thinking of removing the whole OEM system and doing a 4-1 Branch setup from Autowerkz in Durban and going with a stainless freeflow.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
17 Inch A-Line Spree wheels
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Re: Removing catalytic converter

Post by ICE King »

Your options are as follows:

1. Remove Cat and re weld on flange onto new exhaust for Cat Sensor- Probably the easiest
2. Remove Cat and sensor, install resistor for sensor circuit to close
3. Remove Cat and delete Cat sensor from ECU map - Needs Mapping

In short you cannot just remove the sensor without closing the circuit - then you'll have a dash light on.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

ICE King wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm Your options are as follows:

1. Remove Cat and re weld on flange onto new exhaust for Cat Sensor- Probably the easiest
2. Remove Cat and sensor, install resistor for sensor circuit to close
3. Remove Cat and delete Cat sensor from ECU map - Needs Mapping

In short you cannot just remove the sensor without closing the circuit - then you'll have a dash light on.
Can a tech at VW do option 3 on their clever pc's or it this something they won't do?
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

VW wouldn't dare despite having the tools to do so , Will need to locate a " aftermarket" tuner - best closet to your area.

I see your car has software already?
also since you mentioning branch and not down pipe, do you have a non-turbo polo 6?
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

Yes already did software a month ago.

Yes non turbo 1.6 polo
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

ICE King wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm VW wouldn't dare despite having the tools to do so , Will need to locate a " aftermarket" tuner - best closet to your area.

also since you mentioning branch and not down pipe, do you have a non-turbo polo 6?
Cant remember if the guy said the Cat delete was included in the software tune or not. Will have to make sure
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

PoloB wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:56 pm
ICE King wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm VW wouldn't dare despite having the tools to do so , Will need to locate a " aftermarket" tuner - best closet to your area.

Cant remember if the guy said the Cat delete was included in the software tune or not. Will have to make sure
Usually is but will have to make sure, If it is then you good to go for a exhaust system :thumbup:
Will wake the car up nicely at the top of the rev range :evil:
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

ICE King wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Usually is but will have to make sure, If it is then you good to go for a exhaust system :thumbup:

Any suggestions on what size free flow would work best? Don't want a loud blaring sound either just a nice deep growl
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
Gummi
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Car Model: Mk4 Jetta V5 AGZ

Post by Gummi »

This is exactly what i wanted to know. Thanx for posting and the replies.
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

PoloB wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 am
ICE King wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Any suggestions on what size free flow would work best? Don't want a loud blaring sound either just a nice deep growl
50mm mild steel piping , a free flow resonator up front and free flow silencer box at the back ,Gives a nice clean sound , Quiet when idling and loud enough on top , also no drone when cruising high speeds.

Note: Peoples opinions differ , I've always prefer mild steel over stainless - It has a deeper complete tone and absorbs the resonating sound.
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

Thanx for the info,

I would prefer stainless due to the lasting quality as mild steel tends to rust to soon. But yes I also like the deeper exhaust note and not that Mazda Rx7 sound you hear for 1km away.

Might also go with mild steel then and I don't want my car sounding to loud as it a daily drive and use it for long holiday trips, will go mad with a blaring exhaust for 700km
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

You could also keep your standard zorst as they are normally stainless. Just do a decat and your ears won't bleed on long trips. Your power and fuel consumption should better provided your not to trigger happy with the results. Just my two cents
OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Gummi
Cadet

Post by Gummi »

"Remove Cat and sensor, install resistor for sensor circuit to close"

Would the resistor value be the same for all cars? I have a 2000 model v5 agz engine
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Gummi wrote:"Remove Cat and sensor, install resistor for sensor circuit to close"

Would the resistor value be the same for all cars? I have a 2000 model v5 agz engine
Or you could fit a mini cat. They are about R600. I speak under correction but if your sensor is before the cat not neccesary but if it is positioned behind the cat it is. Any one have an opinion on this?

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

If the car has an upstream sensor only (only 1 sensor) it doesnt need a minicat.

If has 2 sensors, upstream and downstream then u will need a minicat as the downstream o2 is a cat efficiency sensor..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Gummi
Cadet

Post by Gummi »

Well im popping around by Powerflow in next week. Will check then how many sensors and also what they say. As far as i know, 2 sensors take into account what the difference between them are. Not sure what it does with that info though. Will keep you guys posted.
PoloB
Cadet

Post by PoloB »

Ashveer03 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 pm If the car has an upstream sensor only (only 1 sensor) it doesnt need a minicat.

If has 2 sensors, upstream and downstream then u will need a minicat as the downstream o2 is a cat efficiency sensor..

Unfortunately mine has 2 sensors one before and one after :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

PoloB wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 pm If the car has an upstream sensor only (only 1 sensor) it doesnt need a minicat.

Unfortunately mine has 2 sensors one before and one after :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
The sensor "down stream" lets you know when the cat is fubar and need replacing. The other measures your co for correct fueling.

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk