AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Kjet 1.8 to Efi

Post by AvesshenG »

Anyone In JHB OR MP area that can supply and fit the the head, injectors,wires, dictator etc to convert my kjet to Efi... The kjet is giving to much issues and parts are hard to find.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Kjet 1.8 to Efi

Post by PapaJo »

You will need to give more info on motor. Your signature says Vw Mk1, engine code could help too or from which model car the motor came from.

Supply and fit is going to cost you. Why don't you source the parts yourself?

Make a list of what you think you need and then post it here and then we can check if you have listed all you need for the conversion?
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

Howsit man

I've got the 1.8 Dx motor.

Basicly I heard there certain injectors that's bolt on into the head without any modification... Just need to find out which injectors and fuel rail that is
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Sorry bud you heard wrong.

I looked into it when I had my CTi, basically the brass injector inserts need to be machined to accept electronic injectors due to the significant difference in length when the two types.

Once that is worked out and the injectors fit the head, you come to the fuel rail. Brackets would need to be fabricated to hold the rail that are sturdy enough that the rail doesn't pop off under pressure. This is just the beginning. Throttle body needs modification to provide the signals the EFI needs to run, holes need to be closed on the KJet manifold that will no longer be used, new holes need to be made to suit the new sensors that are needed, air box must be modified or changed, fuel lines must be made to reach the fuel rail (granted this would happen anyway with any conversion you do). It's a large number of changes to the existing system.

This was not a popular motor for this type of conversion so one would have to fabricate everything that can't be bought and customise the "universal" items that can't be easily fabricated.

Best solution to a headache you don't have to have is to use parts already made for the job that have been proven to work for many years and readily available at any used parts outlet.

The Golf/Jetta 3, Polo Mk1, Citi Life, Velociti, etc, will provide you with all the parts you need to build a reliable and simple fuel injection car, with minimal headaches. All the "modification" needed on the old setup has been done by factory engineers when they designed the MP9 fuel system.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Your best bet would be to buy a complete MP9 head with injectors, fuel rail, inlet manifold and remove the DX head and fit the MP9 head. Less hassles and will likely work out better and cheaper, than modding existing head.

Then just buy a Dicktator std ecu. Get it all fitted and buy a few additional items like to air box and pipe.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You use a regular mp9 style injector, pop the standard o-ring off it,install the k-jet style fat o-ring on it. Then stick it in the same hole the k-jet injector came off. You use a mp9 fuel rail, manufacture brakets to hold it. Voila. Fit dicktator, run it off manifold pressure. Chuck the k-jet box, fit a cone filter or mp9 airbox. Done.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am You use a regular mp9 style injector, pop the standard o-ring off it,install the k-jet style fat o-ring on it. Then stick it in the same hole the k-jet injector came off. You use a mp9 fuel rail, manufacture brakets to hold it. Voila. Fit dicktator, run it off manifold pressure. Chuck the k-jet box, fit a cone filter or mp9 airbox. Done.
There you have it. Panic is the man to ask.
Brat Boy
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 2009 Audi A4 2.0TFSI
Membership No: 1919

Post by Brat Boy »

panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am You use a regular mp9 style injector, pop the standard o-ring off it,install the k-jet style fat o-ring on it. Then stick it in the same hole the k-jet injector came off. You use a mp9 fuel rail, manufacture brakets to hold it. Voila. Fit dicktator, run it off manifold pressure. Chuck the k-jet box, fit a cone filter or mp9 airbox. Done.
That is a proper answer.
Current
Golf 7 GTI DSG (Daily Drive) - Custom Rogue Performance Down Pipe and Exhaust, APR Carbon Fibre Intake, APR Suspension, JB4
Polo (9N3) GTI

In The Land of Titans Notorious is king in the Land Kings I wear the Crown
Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

Maybe check with Panic if you can not fix the kjet, lots of times it will still be a lot cheaper and less ball ache to properly set up kjet. It is still a bullet proof system if done right... at least the car also maintains value better.
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

It turns out my clutch cables actually rubbed into the side of the intake manifold and make a hole so that vaccum leak was causing alot of issues the moment I plugged that hold and rerouted the cable it sounded way better even idled better... So I'll give the kjet another chance πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œfingers crossed she behaves
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

Another question, is the fuel pump on the kjet always so. Noisy and whinny?? I've checked in the tank I don't have a lift pump I've only got the one external pump but dam is it noisy now and then
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

You should have a lift pump in the tank supplying fuel to the reservoir tank where the main pump sits. The high pressure pump does not suck fuel and that could be the reason why it is so noisy, running partially dry and will fail soon if you keep running it that way.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yup. Without a lift pump that main pump is going to fail very soon.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

AvesshenG wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 pm It turns out my clutch cables actually rubbed into the side of the intake manifold and make a hole so that vaccum leak was causing alot of issues the moment I plugged that hold and rerouted the cable it sounded way better even idled better... So I'll give the kjet another chance πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œfingers crossed she behaves
See how easily people bin K-Jet for the smallest reason!
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 am Yup. Without a lift pump that main pump is going to fail very soon.

My Kjet main pump failed, I replaced it with a new Bosch unit.
It ran maybe 15 minutes and was very noisy parked the car off for a long time, went back to start it.
It was super quiet, like too quiet. Main pump was dead again :(.
I suspect the lift pump is dead.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

The fuel tank on the cabriolets are different so maybe that's why I don't have a lift pump... I even opened the inspection hole under the rear seat, there's no lift pump, only thing I could take out was the level float. If I'm correct the lift pump should come out with the float if there was a lift pump
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

Mk1? Then no lift pump.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

Has anyone ever put a filter between the tank and external fuel pump?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes. 10 mm or might even be 12 mm inline filter. Original mk1 actually had them like that out of the factory.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

I'd like to put a filter between the pump as my previous pump gave out I'm about to change it. So you said 10mm? Perhaps what filter should i get?? I was planning on using a new spec golf's front filter but I deffntly don't think that it's 10mm.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

That is a low pressure area. A high pressure filter will be a problem. You'll see the feed line into the pump is quite big. No it's been years and years and years there is no way I can remember a part number.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Get a GUD inline filter. The pipe on Caddy tank measured 12mm. Double check yours on tank first.
AvesshenG
Cadet

Post by AvesshenG »

So update on my kjet, vaccum leaks sorted, WUR connected yet she still Struggles to Start in the morning once she does start and is warm everything is perfect so I'm still getting getting anoyyed. Anything I could check? The fifth injector does spray and get fuel on cranking, I. Checked that. The fuel pump whines really loud, louder than usual when cold starting.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

From this point you would need the pressure gauges and possibly and air/fuel ratio meter. Need to check what the fuelling is on idle and need to check system pressures which will tell you what the pump and the WUR is doing.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

steven7389
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by steven7389 »

I'm just curious
Would this work on the late 80'S and early 90's 2.0lt 16V engines with K-Jet as well?