5 speed ffz gearbox noise.

parrotcheese
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

5 speed ffz gearbox noise.

Post by parrotcheese »

I drive a 1979 mk1 with a 5 speed ffz gearbox.

I noticed when the car idles there is a sound coming from the gearbox, like a rattling noise. If I put my clutch in it goes away.

Today I was driving and a clunk came from my gearbox and the clutch started feeling chunky and clunky.

I’m in the Fourways area, and I’m looking for mechanics that can come fix my car on premises and preferably be able to rebuild my gearbox and linkages.

Please suggest reputable private mechanics.

Thank you
Kind Regards
Gareth
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 5 speed ffz gearbox noise.

Post by panic-mechanic »

Very few mechanics will come to you and work on your car at your premise. For instance do you have a 2 post lift available. I will most certainly not go to somebody and crawl around on the floor to remove a box when I can put it on a hoist at my own place and do it much easier.
in fourways try vagspeccentre but the car will have to go there. they won't come to work at your house.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Donavan »

parrotcheese wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 pm I drive a 1979 mk1 with a 5 speed ffz gearbox.

I noticed when the car idles there is a sound coming from the gearbox, like a rattling noise. If I put my clutch in it goes away.

Today I was driving and a clunk came from my gearbox and the clutch started feeling chunky and clunky.

I’m in the Fourways area, and I’m looking for mechanics that can come fix my car on premises and preferably be able to rebuild my gearbox and linkages.

Please suggest reputable private mechanics.

Thank you
Kind Regards
Gareth
Some advise.

It might be a more viable and cheaper option just to look for a replacement gearbox.
It is a very simple job to remove and replace a gearbox on a mk1
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am Very few mechanics will come to you and work on your car at your premise. For instance do you have a 2 post lift available. I will most certainly not go to somebody and crawl around on the floor to remove a box when I can put it on a hoist at my own place and do it much easier.
in fourways try vagspeccentre but the car will have to go there. they won't come to work at your house.
I think Frans shits a monkey before chasing you away if you pitch in a 79 mk1 :lol:
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Oh sorry I did not know thatbthey only work on certain vw's. My bad. Always just see dazza recommend him to eveyrbody
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.