97 Polo Classic 1.4 Stalling and Low RPM Issue

Sk3tz0
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

97 Polo Classic 1.4 Stalling and Low RPM Issue

Post by Sk3tz0 »

Hi All.

If this is in the wrong section I apologise, I'm new to this Forum and got a 404 Error when I tried viewing posting rules,

Ok so my issue is I have a 97 Polo Classic 1.4 that's been Dropping RPMs whenever I stop (be it a robot, Stop street or just in heave congested Traffic) it gets bad to a point where it'll drop low enough for the car to just stall (no shudder nothing engine just cuts off).

Car starts fine and seems the problem comes and goes as it pleases...

I've tried looking online for an answer it everyone google answer give me 10 different answers. (maybe I'm not using the correct phrases or jargon)
Majority answers results seem to be Spark Plugs (which I will be getting changed later today) and Actuator ... now being a complete and utter Car engine Noob i have no idea what this actuator is or does, if anyone has any ideas or solution let me know on your thoughts. Also whats the average cost of an Actuator replacement for an old model as mine. Money, as Mike Hucknall sings, is too tight to mention... (nice little earworm there to keep you company for the rest of the afternoon)

Again Thanks for the help. I'd go to a Mechanic or Workshop but I've had shitty experiences with them in the past where they've overcharged and wasted my time and money.

Tl;DR

97 Polo Classic 1.4, drops below 5k RPM and stalls when stopping.
Might be plugs id not what you think it could be and what is gonna cost to fix.

-----UPDATE------

With the help of a friend we have replaced all the sparkplugs and leads, however the car still drops to a very low RPM when I stop and tends to cut,
if any one has any idea as to what this issue can be i'd really appreciate some feedback, as its getting rather dangerous now in Traffic coming down Hospital bend out of Town and the Car stalls and no breaks or steering,
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 97 Polo Classic 1.4 Stalling and Low RPM Issue

Post by panic-mechanic »

Either incorrect ignition timing (too slow) or the idle motor inside the throttle body is dying.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Sk3tz0
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: 97 Polo Classic 1.4 Stalling and Low RPM Issue

Post by Sk3tz0 »

Well it cut out today crossing the intersection and thats where it stopped.. doesnt want to start.. fkol..

Any one know a VW mechanic in Southern Subs of Cape Town?