Engine Building

Tintin1
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Engine Building

Post by Tintin1 »

Hi Gentleman

Im new to VW engine building and am looking for advise

Currently race a golf 1 engine powered circuit race car and am looking to build a race engine

Present Specs -
HV Block
1.8 Crank
Standard Rods
83mm Pistons (Combi but not sure which)
2E Fuel injection Head with blank off plate and 288 Camshaft
CR 10.5:1
Dual Weber 45's

My plan is to build a bullet proof high revving engine
1.8 Block
1.8 Crank
H Beam Rods with ARP bolts ****
83mm pistons
1.8 Carb Head - Port clean up & match, Solid Lifters, Dual Springs, 300Deg Cam 11:1 CR

As the engine is going to rev to 7000rpm + continuously, I am looking for strong rods
All that i can find on ebay are -
136mm H beam Rods G60
159mm H beam Rods ABF

From what I hear a longer Rod is better as it allows a better Rod ratio and reduced bearing wear

So what pistons and what block do I use to achieve this
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Engine Building

Post by PapaJo »

159mm rods will be too long when used with the 1.8 crank and 1.8 block. Using the 144mm rods will give you a rod ration of 1,73. A rod ratio around or close to 1,8 is good for this, 1,73 is not too far off. Using the 144mm rods on the 1.8 crank yield a calculated piston compression height of 32.8mm and with the 159mm rods the piston compression height will be 17,8mm. Going to be difficult to find a piston with the compression height.

"From what I hear a longer Rod is better as it allows a better Rod ratio and reduced bearing wear ". You heard correct but as explained above, you are not going to find a piston with 18mm compression height easily. If you used the 2L long block, 236mm then yes. 1.8 short block, 220mm then no.

The std rods will hold up, just change the rod bolts to ARP rod bolts. If you look for H-Beam, I-Beam rods, try sourcing a set from Pauter, Scat or MrTurbo. Expect to pay a price for them though. 20V rods are similar to the 1.8 HV rods, maybe slightly beefier. Can use them swell with ARP rod bolts.

I would worry more to get sufficient oil volume to the rotating parts under high rev's on a fully balanced motor.

VW heads come standard with dual valve springs. If you want to upgrade that, get a rev kit with uprated valve springs from Techtonics or Supertech. Current springs should hold up at 7000 RPM. Stainless valves will be fine and stronger.