Illm@tic
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6R 1.4 C/L

Polo 6R 1.4 63kw valvetrain noisy after head was done

Post by Illm@tic »

Hi,

Need some advice please, new to the forum.I just did the head on my Polo 1.4, mech had it skimmed and changed the timing chain aswell plus a service which was now 1100km's ago.From the time I got the car back, the valvetrain becomes noisy when the engine is hot and almost sounds like a diesel.

The mech said that it sounds like that because the timing chain needs to wear in?? Could it be that he used the wrong oil?? Kinda worried now because its still loud. Should I change the oil? What is the correct spec?

I also put in a branch and a freeflo exhaust on the car as the original system was leaking and the manifold was cracked.The engine was not noisy at all prior to the head being done apart from the exhaust leak.

Thanks,
Current :
2011 Polo 1.4 C/L

Ex:
2008 Citisport 1.4i
2007 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX
1971 Beetle 1600 Twinport
1982 Golf mk1 1100
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Polo 6R 1.4 63kw valvetrain noisy after head was done

Post by mellos »

Hi
I have some knowledge of cars but never heard of a timing chain needing 'wearing in', did you replace the tensioner and guides as well bcos in my opinion sounds like chain not having enough tension, as for oil maybe a thicker oil was used, normal oil for these should be a 10w40 semi synthetic, but I'm up for correction,but otherwise wait for a few more responses/opinions.
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Oh sorry welcome to the forum.
Illm@tic
Enlisted

Post by Illm@tic »

Thanks, thats what I thought about the whole "wearing in" thing.The mech didnt change the tensioner or the guides just the chain.The sound is coming from the top of the engine,however he did mention that if the sound didnt stop then I must go back to him.Thanks for the reply.
Current :
2011 Polo 1.4 C/L

Ex:
2008 Citisport 1.4i
2007 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX
1982 Golf mk1 1100
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Cool rather get it to him asap bcos who knows what damage can occur with that chain rattling around in there.
By the way does the branch and free flow exhaust give you better performance and fuel consumption?
PoloMike
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Model: 1998 Polo Classic 1.8

Post by PoloMike »

HI
Take a screwdriver and place it on different points on the top of the engine with the butt of the screwdriver pressed against your ear, this will give you pinpoint accuracy of where the sound is coming from. Just be careful not to get it caught in any moving parts.
1998 Polo Classic 1.8 with added "benefits" :violin:
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Use a different mechanic that actually knows how to fix things properly.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Illm@tic
Enlisted

Post by Illm@tic »

Thanks, agreed @Jetta2 :cry: ,was desparate at the time,he told me that the head was worked on prior to me buying the car, he showed this red sealant that was all over the head and on the head gasket, according to him they did a temp repair and sold the car! Btw bought the car from Imperial select in Dbn, only 30k on the clock at the time, doing 144k now

I have it since Decemeber 2012, I guess im lucky the temp repair lasted that long and didnt cause any more serious damage.When it happened the heat guage light didnt come on, it just started pissing water below the water bottle, when I took it to the mech, he asked me to open the oil cap in front of him and there was this slight white/creamish residue under the cap.

@mellos, it feels alot better at take off and acceleration, it kinda lost abit of that irritating sort of lag it had on take off previously, but it does affect the fuel consumption negatively though.But it sounds tops.

Will only be able to take the car back at the end of the month :roll:
Current :
2011 Polo 1.4 C/L

Ex:
2008 Citisport 1.4i
2007 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX
1982 Golf mk1 1100
Illm@tic
Enlisted

Post by Illm@tic »

Thanks @PoloMike, will give it a try.
Current :
2011 Polo 1.4 C/L

Ex:
2008 Citisport 1.4i
2007 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX
1982 Golf mk1 1100
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Jetta2 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 pm Use a different mechanic that actually knows how to fix things properly.
:iagree:

I may be wrong but it always good practice to everything that goes together with the chain so that you know everything is new in that area.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Illm@tic
Enlisted

Post by Illm@tic »

@Unobeat, Yeah I guess youre right, I think it was a cost saving exercise, any ideas on what the tensioner and guides are gona cost? So is it definately that or not the oil as I doubt he would have used the castrol edge 5w40 coz its pricey?

Because what I cant understand is why its noisy only when it gets hot after I drive it a bit,but prior to starting it just makes a loud sort of chattering sound then it goes quiet and then once it heats up then its loud and sounds like a diesel??

So frustrating as this whole repair cost R 6500 and I still have this issue
Current :
2011 Polo 1.4 C/L

Ex:
2008 Citisport 1.4i
2007 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX
1982 Golf mk1 1100