Vw caddy bakkie not idleing

Bronz
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Vw caddy bakkie not idleing

Post by Bronz »

Hi all,
I have a vw caddy bakkie 1600 carb. It starts cutting out when accelerating or idleing. its fine in the mornings when its cold but in the afternoon it runs for a while then cuts off and won't even idle. please can you advise as I was on my way home and got stuck on the side of the highway.
Thanks
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Vw caddy bakkie not idleing

Post by PapaJo »

Start by checking the base under the carb and replace if it have cracks in the rubber. Check also that the butterflies are not sticky and not closing fully.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I don't know how difficult it is to access the fuel tank on a Caddy. If it's not too difficult, I would check the fuel pick-up line inside the tank. They have a sort of sieve at the end, i.e. a thimble that only has 16 small holes. I've seen on my own Fox, and heard of, on other cars, several instances where they become blocked over the years. On my Fox, it's happened twice now - roughly every 10-15 years. Both times, after I went on a long wild goose chase, I finally figured out that this thing became blocked. After cleaning it, the problems were solved. The first time, I installed a metal mesh filter around the thimble (from an old in-tank fuel pump), but that also blocked with time. This time around, I used a piece of cloth wrapped around the thimble and held in place with wire.

Edit:

The other possibility is the Hall sensor, if this engine still uses that type of distributor. When they fail, they sometimes do so at specific temperatures. I had the same thing on my Audi. Cold start was fine, but the spark failed as soon as the engine warmed up. You should try to test for a spark when your Caddy's engine stalls.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Caddy tank has a side bottom exit line from inside the tank centre. There is a sieve right at the bottom as you look into the tank through the hole where the fuel gauge fits. Need to drop the tank to check this as the top of tank sits right under the loadbin and no access from above. It has some small inner tube that sucks fuel from the inside where the sieve fits over. You can try and blow back from outside pipe to inside tank to check and clear blockages.