Mk2 gti fuel consumption

Reaazw
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Mk2 gti fuel consumption

Post by Reaazw »

Hi everyone. I need some help as I just got my first vw. It's a 1988 gti with A 2e motor. I have a huge problem with consumption though. I would be lying if i said I was getting within spitting distance of 15l/100k. The car spews a bit of black smoke and I always smell petrol even after getting the fuel pump and lines checked . I have been searching but struggling to get any info on adjusting timing on the car even though I am certain that my problem revolves around cam or dizzy timing. Wife says i should sell it but i really like the car. Can anyone please assist.
NH 9821
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Mk2 gti fuel consumption

Post by NH 9821 »

Sell it to me.

Does it have a aftermarket ecu. Maybe it needs to be remapped?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

If the car is a genuine 1988 and it has a 2E 2.0l installed, then it's either a swop or the Jumbo with Bosch Digifant. In 1988 the Golf 2 was facelifted and the GTi was given a 2.0l. The K-Jetronic was ditched in favour of the newer Digifant engine management. If it's not a GTi then it's most likely a swop and would most likely have a Spitronics or Diktator ECU installed

If you are in the East Rand, look up Panics Place in the forum advertising section.

Stephan is just short of a magician with regards to tuning, I am certain he would be able to solve your problems with the Golf.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

I disagree, 2.0 8V only came out with 91/92 big bumper face lift. 88 saw the new grille and one piece front glass, but no engine changes
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

agreed In 1988 the GTI had a 1.8i Kjet , 2 liter was introduced early 90's either the way , it's irrelevant to the question.

It sound like it's over fueling , mechanically you can adjust whatever but will be wasting your time is there's a faulty sensor and vice versa if you have a mechanical problem - ECU gets incorrect reading and will fuel incorrectly , injectors etc.....

Please specify which area so we can direct you at-least , best to get it to a reliable mechanic.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

yup without knowing what management this is a no start discussion.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Wolf Mk2 16V wrote:I disagree, 2.0 8V only came out with 91/92 big bumper face lift. 88 saw the new grille and one piece front glass, but no engine changes
Thank you for the correction. I remembered the changes just not the correct dates.

Then the car is definitely a swop.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+