9N3 Polo Service (1.6 BAH)

Wolfsburg||
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

9N3 Polo Service (1.6 BAH)

Post by Wolfsburg|| »

Hi guys. I'm new to this thread.I'm an owner of 09 Polo
(123000km) got it recently and would like to carry out a Full service. What would i need to do other than Oil and filters. The cambelt has been done last service. And what brand of Oil would you guys recommend between these?

Oil:
SHELL ULTRA 5W40
CASTROL EDGE 5W40
LIQUI MOLY 5W40 TOP TECH 4100
LIQUI MOLY MOLYGEN 5W40

Then what brand of filters and plugs would you guys recommend?

Plugs:
Bosch
NGk
Champion
OEM

Filters:
Fram
Bosch
GUD
OEM

And then what else would i need to replace/flush/drain/check
I love to know my car is in top shape. I love doing DIY work. I hope this is in the right thread. Thanks. (I was planning on just getting Ultra oil and all bosch plugs and filters but wanted to get some advice from you oaks.)

Sent from my SM-J100H using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 9N3 Polo Service (1.6 BAH)

Post by panic-mechanic »

Oil. Any of the others except the castrol.
any of those spark plugs are good makes. pick the cheapest out of that list
filters - anything Goldwagen sells are good
really don't overthink all that stuff too much. go to a goldwagen and let them give you the ultra or liqui moly that is the best price and whatever else they stock for that engine. They don't sell bad makes for service parts.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:03 am Oil. Any of the others except the castrol.
really don't overthink all that stuff too much. go to a goldwagen and let them give you the ultra or liqui moly that is the best price and whatever else they stock for that engine. They don't sell bad makes for service parts.
Good advice

on a sidenote, i was rather surprised yesterday when i went past my local spares shop to get a service kit for my father W202 c180 merc and Bosch plugs cost R150 for a set.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Unobeat wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:03 am Oil. Any of the others except the castrol.
Good advice

on a sidenote, i was rather surprised yesterday when i went past my local spares shop to get a service kit for my father W202 c180 merc and Bosch plugs cost R150 for a set.
And the w203 c180k uses plugs that cost r160 each.. hows that for a difference

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Wolfsburg||
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Wolfsburg|| »

Thanks oaks. Apologies for the late response. Tought I'd update this. I ended up getting service parts at different suppliers. Plugs and oil i got at GW. They had a special on the Shell HX8. Got it for R380 on special. ( i know lot's of guys on here use 10W40 Magnatec or HX7 but i traced the service history down form VW. Was serviced up until 75K with them. The old toppie at Tavcor VW here in PE told me they only used Castrol Professional?? After more digging it turns out they used Edge 5W40 on those motors. So I'll stick to 5W40. Oil level doesn't drop one bit in 12ks I've done since last year. So why change? Should i have maybe sruck to using Edge? I know it really doesn't matter as long as that bottle says 502 00 spec. But what's your take on it? I'm due for another change soon. Thinking of getting me a bottle? I know there's the old sludge story but i don't run the crap out of my motor. Because i can get a bottle of Edge for a good price. Special. And on the filters. I got a mate working at tavcor that gives me a good price for my filters.

Paid R120 for my Oil filter and about 10-20 bucks more on the other filters compared to the GUD filters at Autozone or Filters at GW. So i got OEM filters. I'm thinking of doing a Decat. Any of you gents with these 9N3 that did one? Other than the sound difference did you notice any i terms of Fuel Economy? Revs? Thanks again for the help gents.
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Post by AvesshenG »

Howsit guys I've got a 1.6 Bah that I need to service, I'm not sure of what oil was used in it through its service history. It's currently at +-170k km. I was thinking of using 5w40 but I see certain guys using 15w40. Which is the correct oil to use?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

10w40 hx7 is my go to oil on these

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Post by AvesshenG »

Thanks πŸ‘Œ for the info
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Ashveer03 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 pm
Unobeat wrote:
Good advice

Wonder how i missed this.
Wow that is a serious price difference and btw what plus are they, is it Platinum which last longer?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Unobeat wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
Good advice

Wow that is a serious price difference and btw what plus are they, is it Platinum which last longer?
Yeah platinum iradium or something like that.. According to service schedules, it's a 120k km plug.

Bmws, Golf 7s etc have similar type of plug with a terrible price aswell.

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Ashveer03 wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
Unobeat wrote: Good advice

Yeah platinum iradium or something like that.. According to service schedules, it's a 120k km plug.

Bmws, Golf 7s etc have similar type of plug with a terrible price aswell.

Oh yeah

I knows those plugs as my Auris has them too and had to replace them last year at R600 for 4 NKG brand.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk