Citi Golf 'rev counter' jumping around

my_citi1.8i
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Citi Golf 'rev counter' jumping around

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Hi Guys,

I need some help.

My citi golf's rev counter is jumping up and down and eventually it would end up on zero and the oil light/buzzer comes on.....theres more than sufficient oil in the car... what could it be. i have added a link below with a video on what it does. only a few seconds long.

https://www.videosprout.com/video?id=dc ... 350164889a

Thanks.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Citi Golf 'rev counter' jumping around

Post by VAG Fan »

The oil warning is coupled to the engine speed signal, because the oil pressure must be a certain minimum at 2000 revs. If the pressure monitor receives no engine speed signal, this triggers the oil buzzer.

So, for now, you only have to worry about the engine speed signal. Once that is sorted, the oil warning should go away as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with sorting the engine speed signal out. I just wanted to let you know that the oil pressure warning is not a fault in itself, but an artefact of the engine speed signal failure.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
my_citi1.8i
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by my_citi1.8i »

VAG Fan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm The oil warning is coupled to the engine speed signal, because the oil pressure must be a certain minimum at 2000 revs. If the pressure monitor receives no engine speed signal, this triggers the oil buzzer.

So, for now, you only have to worry about the engine speed signal. Once that is sorted, the oil warning should go away as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with sorting the engine speed signal out. I just wanted to let you know that the oil pressure warning is not a fault in itself, but an artefact of the engine speed signal failure.
Thank you. I called Goldwagen and its R196 for the sensor. Will rather take it to an Auto Electrician to check.
Mojay
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Sport 1.6i

Post by Mojay »

my_citi1.8i wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:12 pm
VAG Fan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm The oil warning is coupled to the engine speed signal, because the oil pressure must be a certain minimum at 2000 revs. If the pressure monitor receives no engine speed signal, this triggers the oil buzzer.

Thank you. I called Goldwagen and its R196 for the sensor. Will rather take it to an Auto Electrician to check.
Hwzit man,
Did you manage to resolve this? (I'm hoping so) If so, what was the issue?
Mojay
2008 VW Citi Sport 1.6i
2008 VW Citi Tenaciti 1.4i