Golf 1900 8v

avinash.s
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Golf 1

Golf 1900 8v

Post by avinash.s »

Hi everyone my name is Avinash and I am new to the forum....Im still learning my way arround so please forgive me if I do anything wrong. I currently own a 2002 golf 1.4 carb and I am looking to do a 1900 8v conversion. I have already purchased a 1.8 golf motor (hv) that I want to do the conversion on. I have read the other posts on the 1900 8v conversion a few times over. I plan on using the 2.3 caravelle pistons rebore my block and have the pistons decked to sit flush with the block.I will be using the 1.8 head which has a height of 132.7mm as per the engineer. What i would like to find out is if I do the above will my compression be fine as I am near the coast in kzn Pietermaritzburg. I have spoken to a few mechanics as well as engineers but nobody wants to measure the compression as I dont think they know how to. I am not too worried about what the actual figure will be as long as I can run it on pump fuel I will be happy.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf 1900 8v

Post by PapaJo »

Welcome to the forum. Using the pistons you describe would be fine and if head is not skimmed (std measurement from value you gave), no issues for you. Don’t kbow if you gave already, but search for missioners post on the forum. He and few orhers has done this conversion or send him a PM for more info.
avinash.s
Enlisted

Post by avinash.s »

I actually did speak to missioner about it and he said my compression would be too high while others say it will be just fine,so if someone that's done the conversion and are near the coast could chime in it would really help.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Have never ever ever ever ever ever used the height of the head as a way to calculate compression. It's a durban thing and apparently works for them. I don't know how to make those sums.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

My name is being used in vain, I see.

If the pistons are machined flush to the top of the block, the compression is almost acceptable.

On pump gas in PMB on hot days I get a fair amount of pinging from my motor. I have retarded the timing to try to alleviate this , but it's still a problem. Colder weather does help. I have also tried Octane Booster and it definitely made an improvement to the pinging problem. It's usually at small to medium throttle that it's most evident and only at lower altitude. At home in the mountains I'm quite fine.

For me the next step would be to dump the prehistoric fuel and ignition system on my motor and install something with knock control capability. I feel that this should resolve the problem and unlock the potential of the engine.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

missioner wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:22 pm My name is being used in vain, I see.

If the pistons are machined flush to the top of the block, the compression is almost acceptable.

On pump gas in PMB on hot days I get a fair amount of pinging from my motor. I have retarded the timing to try to alleviate this , but it's still a problem. Colder weather does help. I have also tried Octane Booster and it definitely made an improvement to the pinging problem. It's usually at small to medium throttle that it's most evident and only at lower altitude. At home in the mountains I'm quite fine.

For me the next step would be to dump the prehistoric fuel and ignition system on my motor and install something with knock control capability. I feel that this should resolve the problem and unlock the potential of the engine.
Will larger duration cams not aid as it will change the static compression ratio?
avinash.s
Enlisted

Post by avinash.s »

Panic I have tried to get the compression measured but nobody seems to know how or wants to do it for me, thats why I thought someone here could help me. The only reason I spoke about the head height was because I saw previous post talk about heads being skimmed too much and compression being too high so I thought I would just put as much information in as I can. Any suggestions on how I can go about this conversion in a safe way as I am unsure if to continue with this build or just leaving it a 1.8 since car will be a daily doing about 30km a day.
avinash.s
Enlisted

Post by avinash.s »

Missioner was your head standard or was it previously skimmed?
avinash.s
Enlisted

Post by avinash.s »

PapaJo dont want to have to run huge cams as it will be a daily driver used in traffic.
RUCH
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by RUCH »

Howzit guys I'm new on the forum and it's good to be here... So I hve been flowwing these 1.9 8v Conversions as I wanted to do same to my m2 gti
So I hve did and completed the conversion I just wanna know if I done the correct things

1.8 8v bottom end
2.3 Caravelle pistons
Bigger valves
288 camshaft
Ported and gas flowed head
Vr6 throttle body
Bigger injectors
Dicktator mangment std
1.6i head
AEN GEARBOX
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

RUCH wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:42 pm Howzit guys I'm new on the forum and it's good to be here... So I hve been flowwing these 1.9 8v Conversions as I wanted to do same to my m2 gti
So I hve did and completed the conversion I just wanna know if I done the correct things

1.8 8v bottom end
2.3 Caravelle pistons
Bigger valves
288 camshaft
Ported and gas flowed head
Vr6 throttle body
Bigger injectors
Dicktator mangment std
1.6i head
AEN GEARBOX
You have done what most guys did for this conversion. Did you went bigger valves?

Start your own rides thread and post up description and pictures there. Should get more exposure and answers from guys reading forum.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Lose the AEN gearbox fairly fast. It's not a very strong box.

It will end itself after a short time. It's designed for a 1.6 carb Citi or fox.

The Mk2 is a little heavier and with the extra torque you now have you will benefit from the longer legs found in the original gearbox from your car.

If that in no longer around then look for something with the 0.7 5th gear.

Search for BrokeVW on the web, it has a page that lists most of the gearbox codes and their ratios.

Last resort go chat to Oom Poy at 8V Performance about building you something similar to the original just with some tweaks to enhance and strengthen it.

Finally you will need a better clutch. I changed mine four times using STD parts, the only one that didn't slip was a custom hybrid clutch disc that had copper buttons installed on it. Norbrake in Anderbolt is your guys for that.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+