2007 Golf Chico with VERY serious eletric problems

Taprecious
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

2007 Golf Chico with VERY serious eletric problems

Post by Taprecious »

Hi guys

I am new to the forum and need of great help. I have a 2007 VW Golf Chico 1.4 carburettor engine with 185 000 km on the clock.

3 months ago I started noticing the the clock and trip km would just reset on its own. The problem was intermittent. The problem then evolved or became a bit more pronounced. When I am driving the radio(original vw) would go silent for 1 to 2 seconds and if I am driving for a long distance it continues until the all lights including the dashborad would switch off, rev counter and speedometer would go to zero as though I have switched off the car. If i take off my foot from the accelerator the car will switch off, if I keep the foot there it will come back on and the car will continue to run.

I have also noticed that sometimes when I am driving especially at night from work, all the lights will switch off when the radiator fan comes on. If I put on the flash light the same will happen and sometimes it even misfires everytime when I put the flash lights. When it start this misfiring thing , radiator fan, indicator lights and flash lights will make it misfire. If I stop for an hour or so. Everything will be ok.

The most confusing part of all is the problem is very very intermitten and happens like once in every 3 weeks to different level, sometimes just reseting the dashboard clocks, sometimes switching off while driving and sometimes all I have mentioned plus misfiring.

Has anyone gone through such a problem and how did you manage it. I am very technical any pointers will be appreciated. If this is a pure auto electrician forest please do advise. I am in a position where I just feel like selling this car but I still love it. It is a very nice, cheap and realible car.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: 2007 Golf Chico with VERY serious eletric problems

Post by PapaJo »

Start by removing and cleaning the two big fuses behind the battery as they supply all the circuits with power via those two big fuses.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

And if that does not work replace the ignition switch as a next step.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Taprecious
Enlisted

Post by Taprecious »

Thank you guys. I will do it today and let you know how it goes. Thanks again
Preggz
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 06 Velociti & 13 6r PGti

Post by Preggz »

PapaJo wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm Start by removing and cleaning the two big fuses behind the battery as they supply all the circuits with power via those two big fuses.
Also the clean/replace negative and positive cables to the battery...
LöW Ridër Velociti
JOMs FTW
Reflex Sliver Polo 6R GTI
HnR Springs
Dp
Forge Intake
SW (Dark Arts)
griffeyvwcpt
Enlisted

Post by griffeyvwcpt »

I had a similar problem on my 1.4 citi 04. Turned out to be the coil. Small crack in the housing of the coil. I would drive and all of a sudden rev and speedo would go to zero. I would then attempt a rolling kickstart, this worked for a while. but in the end I had to replace the coil.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Did you find the origin of all evil causing you this serious electrical fault?
Taprecious
Enlisted

Post by Taprecious »

No not yet, I will update you in 2 weeks time whne I am back home and able to look at it. Thank you guys again fir all the advice.