Replacing rear wheel bearing Citi

175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 6 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Replacing rear wheel bearing Citi

Post by 175SBU »

This work was done on a Velocity.

Jack car and support with jack stands, undo and remove rear wheel.

Prise the hub cap with a screwdriver or similar.

Remove hub cap.

Remove split pin.

Remove the locking castle ring.

Undo your nut 🥜🤭

Remove your thrustwasher

Remove outer bearing

Remove brake drum

As you can see the drum was meant to have retained both the inner bearing and the oil seal but this shows that damage was already done.

Now clean your stub axle and examine your brakes shoes, mine are finished and need to be replaced.

Now we are ready to remove the inner and outer bearing cups. This is what we agoing to replace.

Support your drum with bricks if you do not have a vise like me Image♂️, this will allow you to knock out both the inner and out cups, clean out the grease to expose the grooves where you will be able to punch out the cups.

Now punch out the cups

Now you are ready to insert the new cups, the trick is to use the old cups to insert the new cups, flip them around sothat they line up head to head, when the new cups have reached their sitting point the old one will be stuck so gently tap new ones and the old ones will release, then gently retap sothat they flush properly.

Now its time to grease your bearings and insert them. I shall leave part to other guys on how to grease, different people use different methods.

Insert and tap in your oil seal.

Load your drum and insert your greased inner bearing, thrustwasher and hub nut.
Do your nut 🥜 while you spin the drum back and forth sothat it does not bind, take note not to overdo.

Insert the lock pin and split pin plus the hub cap, tap hub cap sothat it locks.

Dankie, ngiyabonga, thank you Image