Cadet
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: VW, Ford
Car Model: MK1 GTX, MK1, Ford Figo
Membership No: 2001

16v issues

Post by mk1fan »

Good Day

I always had 8v carb motors. In November I bought my first 16v FI (ABF) with throttles. Big learning curve for me since November.

Long story short. We rebuild the motor. New rings, bearing etc. I rebuild the motor because I thought it had sump compression due to dipstick kept on popping out.

Car smoked a bit on start and smoked reasonably a lot when driving it.

After redoing all seals, made gaskets for the throttles as silicon was used as a gasket, etc. putting the motor back together and back into the car my issues started.

Car didn't want to idle, didn't made the power it use to made and was a headache to drive and struggled to start. Spoke to lots of people and at the end most of them said it had to go for a dyno. Took the car for a dyno but still some issues. Car struggled to start as if timing is out. smokes when starting and smell like fuel. Smokes on acceleration but at least got some power back.

That same night I drove to a party and car was ok. The drive back home was not so lekker. Needed to rev the car up to pull away, sounded like it was blowing through the throttles some stages but if you floor it a bit it came right. Car stood for a week now. Yesterday got in it and started it and same problem if not worse. Car idles but when stepping on the accelerator its got like a flat spot then slowly revs up.

If anyone had a similar issue, advice will be greatly appreciated.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: 16v issues

Post by PapaJo »

Start by checking all timing marks to ensure they are at the right spot.

Then check fuel pressure on injectors.

Check for vacuum leaks on inlet manifold and throttles. What naterial did you use to make gaskets?

Were timing marks on cam gears lining up, when motor was put together?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

What management system are you using?

When you check timing marks, make sure that motor is on TDC and check that front pulley is properly torqued.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sounds like your cam timing is out.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10