162life-WP
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 Life

My 2.0 16V 9a Life build thread

Post by 162life-WP »

Good Day fellow vaggers lol :hurray:

After hijacking a few threads i decided it was time to start my own.

When considering this build i had done lots of research and found a substantial amount of theory on this very site. (Sincere thanx to all who voluntarily shared their knowledge)

However, there were a few hiccups i encountered along the journey that i feel is only mandatory for me to share with whoever reads this thread in order for them to be able to learn from my mistakes.

Having said that, my build is far from complete and being that all of it was done in my driveway and on a very tight budget, there are things that may not be very "pretty" however, the car works...sometimes :crazy: LOL

So the 1.6i mp9 had done roughly 300k kms and it was nearing its demise, and being the complicated person i am, i had a choice to either modify the mp9 while refreshing it, or doing something different.

Here i considered 2 options of which i thoroughly researched; that is,go 2.0 8v ady or 2.0 16V (on special at Mike's place). needless to say i fell pray to the power advantage and went with the option that would produce a bit more intensity on a daily basis over the 8v route which i was already kind of familiar with. So i closed my eyes and signed my "life" away :grin:

pics on the way....as soon as i figure out how to attach them :bang:
162life-WP
Cadet

Re: My 2.0 16V 9a Life build thread

Post by 162life-WP »

The has been 1.6i mp9 on its way out :hurray:
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

keeping the ffz gearbox meant saving costs, so i got a 210mm 9 hole flywheel from an acquaintance and a new clutch and pp from a gal who's married to a guy who owns a spares shop...or as we call it in Cape Town...i got a lyn :bwahaha:

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Arguably the most important part of this build was having friends around who not only had skills with hand tools, but also a never say die attitude and who lifted my spirits on numerous occassions when things didnt go our way.

Here we are mating the ffz gearbox to the 1st engine we got from Mike's (will get to that topic a bit later on in the thread)

The filthy engine bay awaiting its transplant

Because we had to fit the drivers side engine mount, we were forced to remove the covers and the like, and discovered that the cambelt in true Capetonian fashion, had been missing a few teeth :eek:

Needless to say i wasnt going to take the risk of fitting an engine that could possibly have had (which it did) any bent valves, so i got on the phone with the guys at Mike's and they happily supplied me with another 9A angine the very next working day. :hurray:

This was a really shitty looking engine as opposed to the 1st one we were supplied with :puke: , BUT...never judge a book by its cover... and every cover could use with a lil bit of a make over anyway

MNR
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Model: '87 Fox ABF

Post by MNR »

Looking good :drool: are you staying on mp9?
Current
'87 VW Fox Seat abf 110kw.
'05 Audi A3 8P 2.0T FSI

Ex:
'92 VW Fox 1.6 10kw.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

At this point i was still more than determined to get the build completed and continued to hunt for the rest of the parts to finish off the build. Because the 9A engine unlike the Abf didnt have an internal trigger wheel and coz i already had the mp9 3pin coil (and really because im just cheap :hi: ) i decided to go with the Dicktator STD system that would allow me to run the 9A as is (without having to add extra modules or having to fabricate an external 60-2 trigger wheel).

It was now time to get back to the business of fitting the powerplant into its new home :grin:

My best friend who practically built this car himself, who;might i add works a job in construction very proud of our accomplishment

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

MNR wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 pm Looking good :drool: are you staying on mp9?
Many people have had success with the mp9 system on the 16V platform, but for what i wanted from this build we decided it would allow for better tunability to go straight with an aftermarket management system. Thinking about the future of the build and my very hopeful aspirations of one day going turbo with the car :grin:
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

So because i was determined to install the management myself (with a tiny bit of guidance) i thought the easiest and safest option would be to label all the wires i needed from the old mp9 ecu. This map found on this forum was invaluable in doing that (thanx to whoever posted this)

Diagrams like these also made the task a bit simpler in that i had an idea what went for what

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

I found a KR intake on Gumtree that already had a custom fuel rail with injectors on it (i needed this as the 9A engine was mechanically injected and i was going the EFI route) and bought a few other goodies like the dizzy and fuel pressure regulator as well

BUT...i wasnt having any of that ugly egg colours in my engine bay,so we went about giving it some much needed make up

mooi van ver,ma ver van mooi :grin:

And while we were at it....

Because...#budgetbuild

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Before i knew it i was busy wiring the injectors

Test fitting things

Its not pretty i know, but hey...it works...sometimes :lol:

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

There are still sooooo many teething issues STILL to be sorted out namely; the brake booster resevoir that touches the dizzy,and the alternator that doesnt particularly line up :grin: or the fact that ive blown 3 hall senders in three different dizzys...but on this day, in the current state that she's in....i could not have been more over joyed honestly. All the late nights,money spent and hours away from families all just seemed to be so worth it.

Because we are at the coast with only exhaust and branch (i'll upload those pics on another day,we built that up ourselves as well :lol: ) this car was like a bat out of hell!

134kw and 232nm's :troll: numbers even your granny would be chuffed about :drool: and on the road it feels every bit as exciting LOL
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Great work sofar and dyno results.

With regards to the burning dissy’s, where did you wire the ground wire on the TP100? On engine block or at battery negative terminal?
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

PapaJo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am Great work sofar and dyno results.

With regards to the burning dissy’s, where did you wire the ground wire on the TP100? On engine block or at battery negative terminal?
It sground on the tappet cover at the moment. I think that the power supply (12v+) may be the issue at the moment. Was running the coil and dizzy off the injector 12v+ but have been told to use the ignition switched 12V+ instead?????

When using the tps 5v the car started and drove a few metres then died but the lights on the management was operational (all the colours flashed when swinging the car). after using the old 12v (injector+)(before being told not to use that 12V+ :bang: ) it just stayed red and the car refused to start.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

I was also told to ditch my 3 pin coil and go with a 2 pin instead with a tp100??? is there any truth or success in doing this coz as far as i know, the 3pin succeeds the 2pin????
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

162life-WP wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 am I was also told to ditch my 3 pin coil and go with a 2 pin instead with a tp100??? is there any truth or success in doing this coz as far as i know, the 3pin succeeds the 2pin????
The 3 pin coil works just as good as the 2 pin with TP100. 3 pin is direct wired from Dicktator and less parts that can fail in the circuit.
Last edited by PapaJo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

162life-WP wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 am
PapaJo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am Great work sofar and dyno results.

It sground on the tappet cover at the moment. I think that the power supply (12v+) may be the issue at the moment. Was running the coil and dizzy off the injector 12v+ but have been told to use the ignition switched 12V+ instead?????

When using the tps 5v the car started and drove a few metres then died but the lights on the management was operational (all the colours flashed when swinging the car). after using the old 12v (injector+)(before being told not to use that 12V+ :bang: ) it just stayed red and the car refused to start.
Thought you use a TP100. Saw now you use a 3 pin coil. Am I right then that the coil ground is connected to the tappet cover? If so, rather move it to the negative battery terminal. Might be drawing too much current due to a weak connection on the tappet cover or not a clean earth connection from battery to motor.

Switched +12V is what you need to use. Preferably from ignition. The injector +12V is also switched, but via the ecu.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Thanx papa jo, i will give these things a go as soon as i pick up ANOTHER dizzy LOL :deadhorse:
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Quick update: got a new dizzy🙈as well as a BMW e30 electronic bottle coil and dicktator tp100. Car is running like a dream👌timing needs to be recalibrated now and I need to invest in some new ht leads lol, but otherwise its regained my smile again😁
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

162life-WP wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:57 am Quick update: got a new dizzy🙈as well as a BMW e30 electronic bottle coil and dicktator tp100. Car is running like a dream👌timing needs to be recalibrated now and I need to invest in some new ht leads lol, but otherwise its regained my smile again😁
Great news and well done on the progress.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Many thanx papa Jo.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Getting back to the build thread..

We fitted the engine and discovered that the gearbox linkages were hitting the stock 16v manifold so I had to get a mk1 16v branch from powerflow. Image

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Picked up a cowley 57mm back box and got some 57mm stainless steel piping from a guy... Then headed off to the exhaust shop to get it all fitted and welded up. At this point the car had to be towed to and from as it wasnt starting yet.

Saved a few coins going this route and the Carr sounds pretty decent ImageImageImageImage

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Personally I find that making notes as I went along helped me remember the smaller things that I otherwise would have over looked lolImage

162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

In the meantime I left my best to mount the management and grind up a few small water pipes ImageImage