Vw Golf 1 1.6 to 1.8 crank swop

Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Vw Golf 1 1.6 to 1.8 crank swop

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Hi there guys,

I would like some advice on the following. I have a 1.6 8v citi golf life. Mods that I have are just branch and exhaust with a flowed 2.0 short intake and 2.0 throttle body. Car goes well and is responsive, however I would like to change my crank to a 1.8 crank. Reason being, I am suspecting a small end knock. Iirc the bore sizes on the 1600 and 1800 are the same and I won't have to do engine clearance. My friend has given me an 1800 crank but he's not sure how much it has been turned. How can I determine this? Okay so basically I would like to know if I can use the same rods, the mains and big end caps, and if I use my current 1600 pistons (after machining) will it be better than just using 1800 pistons?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Vw Golf 1 1.6 to 1.8 crank swop

Post by PapaJo »

Bore sizes and conrods are the same size and length. 1800 crank fits with new bearings.

You need to change the pistons though as the 1800 pistons has a shorter compression height than the 1600 piston.

You will need to tune for the increased engine capacity.
Last edited by PapaJo on Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Vw Golf 1 1.6 to 1.8 crank swop

Post by PapaJo »

You will have no piston crown and compresion rings fitted when you machine the 1600 piston down. Get the 1800 pistons.