AEN gearbox not engaging 4th

Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf Mk1

AEN gearbox not engaging 4th

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

Howzit there guys. I got a 5 speed AEN box i took out from a Jetta mk2. The car i took the gearbox from has been standing for nearly 10 years...now the problem is i have engaged reverse, gear 1,2;3 by hand and they engage but 4th gear doesnt engage. When i try to engage 4 the shifter doesnt fully engage, it stands halfway. Even if i try to push it hard it doesnt engage. The other issue is whenever i engage the 5th gear, the shaft in the middle that houses the pushrod keeps on spinning as if the g.box is in neutral....but when i engage reverse,1,2 and 3 that shaft doesnt spin/turn and those gears arent hard ti engage like 4th. Also when i engage 5th when i am turning that middle shaft there is a little bit of grrr (grinding) sound. I do not know if it's lack of oil since there is no oil in the box or it might another issue. Does any of you guys have any ideas what it might be and if you do please help me out.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: AEN gearbox not engaging 4th

Post by PapaJo »

Lo & Slo_Bunny wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:23 pm Howzit there guys. I got a 5 speed AEN box i took out from a Jetta mk2. The car i took the gearbox from has been standing for nearly 10 years...now the problem is i have engaged reverse, gear 1,2;3 by hand and they engage but 4th gear doesnt engage. When i try to engage 4 the shifter doesnt fully engage, it stands halfway. Even if i try to push it hard it doesnt engage. The other issue is whenever i engage the 5th gear, the shaft in the middle that houses the pushrod keeps on spinning as if the g.box is in neutral....but when i engage reverse,1,2 and 3 that shaft doesnt spin/turn and those gears arent hard ti engage like 4th. Also when i engage 5th when i am turning that middle shaft there is a little bit of grrr (grinding) sound. I do not know if it's lack of oil since there is no oil in the box or it might another issue. Does any of you guys have any ideas what it might be and if you do please help me out.
The grrr sound could be from no oil in gearbox or some gears grinding inside gearbox. Hard to say without seeing the inside condition of the box.

The 3rd and 4th gears are using the same selector and selector drum in different directions though.

It could also be that the syncro on the 4th gear is broken and then caused the drum to push the 3 dogclips out. That is mostlikely the cause here as you say the lever is not moving over completely.

Was this box still in working condition before car was standing for 10 years?
Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

Yes the gearbox was in a working condition according to the guy that i got it from
Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

I will take it to someone to open it for me and check what could be the problem because i was thinking it might be having a bigger problem thus i was deciding to get another box but according to your reply i dont think its a big issue
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

No oil plus standing for 10 years equals 'box rebuild.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

I dont mind a box rebuild...i got a dgg box that pops out of reverse so maybe i can take parts from one box to the other
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Which area are you in? Then we can recommend soneone in your area to assist.