Standard exhaust on 2l motor

Tottie
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Standard exhaust on 2l motor

Post by Tottie »

Hi guys,

Can i drive my 2l8v motor with standard Velociti exhaust? I currently have a 50mm powerflow fitted but dont like it anymore. Tryinh to get my car standard as possible. Looking to replace the 50mm with standard velociti exhaust with the twin tailpipe. Want more silence.

Thanks
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Standard exhaust on 2l motor

Post by PapaJo »

You are going to choke the motor going to smaller diameter exhaust.

Rather look at different box sizes to make it more quiet and if you want exhaust to look like a Velocitivwith twin pipes, get a twin pipe welded to the rear box.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You can leave everything and just get a different silencer box instead of a free flow. Will give you more quiet. it's not the pipe size that determines the noise level - it is the silencer design / size.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

:iagree: What panic said, It's not the piping

Reinstalling the stock back box should do the trick but as Papa Jo has said you'll lose some Hp more so in the top of the rev range.

FYI - The 2lt 8 valve Mk3 GTI stock piping is 50mm and the std velocity runs two boxes - Non freeflow

Having a box install immediately after the branch will keep it quiet during low rpms , alot of exhaust shops removes this box as It somewhat chokes the motor at high rpm's.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Tottie
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Tottie »

Thanks for the replies. Yes I just need the car to be quiet. cant stand the loudness of the exhaust. I'm trying to get the car to stock form as far as possible and changing the exhaust was part of the list. But i guess that can only be done if I change the motor as well. I will phone around ask the exhaust places to quote me on a silencer to quiet the car up a bit.

Thanks again.