Armand
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Black Magic 6R Polo Gti
Membership No: 1828

Diffrence between throttles

Post by Armand »

Hi, can anyone explain maybe the diffrence between makes of throttles like Jenvey and Precision or is it only name brand and a set of 20v or m3 throttles work just as well?
Current:
2011 Black 6R Polo Gti (Forge intake, Viper dp, Stage 2 DNA sw)
Ex:
2007 Polo gti (Giac software, 76mm dp, ITG Induction, custom FMIC)
2009 Citi 1.4i sport
1997 Uno turbo ( w/m, Tdo4 turbo, intercooler,76mm exhaust
Bmw 540i e34 (Standard)
Nissan 3.0 v6 (Brospeed branches and exhaust)
2009 Polo gti (Giac software)
Suzuki gsxr1000 k5 (Everything)
Vw caddy club (Mp9 conver, Branches, exhaust, chip)
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Diffrence between throttles

Post by PapaJo »

Armand wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm Hi, can anyone explain maybe the diffrence between makes of throttles like Jenvey and Precision or is it only name brand and a set of 20v or m3 throttles work just as well?
There are many differences and not just the brand name. Some have advantages over others and great differences in their price tags. Some have tapered bores, some have a straight bore throughout, some makes have different bore size models, the location of the injectors and angles differ on them, some direct to head fitment and some via a manifold or adaptor plate. 20V throttles come in thwo sizes, M3 throttles are larger bore. The list goes on.

Google Jenvey and Precision and DICE and read up on their sites about their designs. 20V had the silvertop and black top motors for the 43mm and 45mm itb’s.
Armand
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Black Magic 6R Polo Gti
Membership No: 1828

Post by Armand »

PapaJo wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:18 pm
Armand wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm Hi, can anyone explain maybe the diffrence between makes of throttles like Jenvey and Precision or is it only name brand and a set of 20v or m3 throttles work just as well?
There are many differences and not just the brand name. Some have advantages over others and great differences in their price tags. Some have tapered bores, some have a straight bore throughout, some makes have different bore size models, the location of the injectors and angles differ on them, some direct to head fitment and some via a manifold or adaptor plate. 20V throttles come in thwo sizes, M3 throttles are larger bore. The list goes on.

Google Jenvey and Precision and DICE and read up on their sites about their designs. 20V had the silvertop and black top motors for the 43mm and 45mm itb’s.
Thanks, it get difficult to get a straight answer with so many opinions, I want to work my abf but between all forums and opinions I cant decide which cams are best, which throttles I should use, if I even should use throttles, should I keep the bottom end standard or change to higher comp or should I just leave everything and go turbo, decisions decisions :crazy:
Current:
2011 Black 6R Polo Gti (Forge intake, Viper dp, Stage 2 DNA sw)
Ex:
2007 Polo gti (Giac software, 76mm dp, ITG Induction, custom FMIC)
2009 Citi 1.4i sport
1997 Uno turbo ( w/m, Tdo4 turbo, intercooler,76mm exhaust
Bmw 540i e34 (Standard)
Nissan 3.0 v6 (Brospeed branches and exhaust)
2009 Polo gti (Giac software)
Suzuki gsxr1000 k5 (Everything)
Vw caddy club (Mp9 conver, Branches, exhaust, chip)
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Difficult decision to make. If you look on the forum for builds been done, there is a wide range of and almost every one is different in some way or the other. For a daily and weekend car, think in the likes of a std bottom end, 4-2-1 branch for better mid range, 272/276 duration cams with a port and polish and use the ABF intake. Seems that he ABF intake is giving more torque in lower RPM.

ITB's have a very nice sound and think if setup properly can still yield decent fuel consumption, all depending on the loud pedal usages....he-he. If you want a screamer, fit ITB's and raise the compression a bit with a nice set of cams.

BMW throttles on an ABF is overrated and may suffer from low end grunt and idle issues as they are 50mm ones afaik. I'm using 45mm Toyota ITB's on a 1800 KR 16V and sofar seems to be working ok. No idle issues. Still need to do a bit of run in on motor and then full tune. I was advised to not go bigger than 43mm and rather use 40mm ones, but decided to follow my own head and be different. Will see how it worked out once motor get a dyno tune.

Lets face it, turbo route or well sorted 16V will cost you money. Turbo route kw gains per rand spend may be more. The decision still remain by what you want and want to enjoy.