dicktator issues help please

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: dicktator issues help please

Post by panic-mechanic »

that going to the battery is a problem. it creates a ground loop which will mess with your sensors.
I suggest you go buy new harnass from dictator and start from scratch.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm that going to the battery is a problem. it creates a ground loop which will mess with your sensors.
I suggest you go buy new harnass from dictator and start from scratch.
I agree with Panic. New harnass will be less of a headache.
mon2fri
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years

Post by mon2fri »

ok ill order it.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:27 pm ok ill order it.
Think the cost at Dicktator is 400 bucks for a new complete harnass.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

ill oder it @ performance products SA, i saw them online
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

good morning,
here is my update from the work done on the weekend.

i have ordered the 60-2 harness and hooked it up according to the chart uploaded the map u send me but no luck in getting the car started.

1. when i put the car on i sum times get the rpm reading and sum times not
2. trying to swing the car the green and amber lights doesn`t flick and no rpm reading

now all i`m guessing is that it might be the box.

please advice.

thank you
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Ok at this stage I think you need to consult or let a pro that has done this before look at it.
Do you have access to an oscilloscope?. if so - then hook it up to the magnetic trigger pins 1,2 and see if you are getting a trigger signal generated.
If so then yes the box maybe faulty. You can take it to them and get it tested.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Seems that the tapping of wires to test trigger input in the begining might have damaged the box. All wiring correct and new harnass and running map leads me in that direction.

I agree with Panic, get box tested by Dicktator.

You are sure the trigger sensor is still in a good condition and has no faults??? Measure the coil resistance with aa multimeter between pin 1 and 2 if you do not have access to an osciliscope.

I have asked this before and can you measure the length of the sensor from the flat face surface (mounting flange) to the tip of the sensor and then find a way to measure the depth from block surface where sensor mounts to the trigger wheel teeth tip. Subtract the depth in block from the sensor tip length and that should be the air gap between the sensor tip and trigger teeth. That air gap must be 0,75mm to 0,8mm. Larger air gap will result in no trigger. Some sensors have a ring or lip at the flange face end and then it prevents the sensor to go into the block to the right depth creating a larger air gap between sensor tip and trigger teeth. Same apllies with the o-ring fitted over sensor to seal on the block.

It is either sensor or fault in box now causing you the headache.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:15 pm Seems that the tapping of wires to test trigger input in the begining might have damaged the box. All wiring correct and new harnass and running map leads me in that direction.

I agree with Panic, get box tested by Dicktator.

You are sure the trigger sensor is still in a good condition and has no faults??? Measure the coil resistance with aa multimeter between pin 1 and 2 if you do not have access to an osciliscope.

I have asked this before and can you measure the length of the sensor from the flat face surface (mounting flange) to the tip of the sensor and then find a way to measure the depth from block surface where sensor mounts to the trigger wheel teeth tip. Subtract the depth in block from the sensor tip length and that should be the air gap between the sensor tip and trigger teeth. That air gap must be 0,75mm to 0,8mm. Larger air gap will result in no trigger. Some sensors have a ring or lip at the flange face end and then it prevents the sensor to go into the block to the right depth creating a larger air gap between sensor tip and trigger teeth. Same apllies with the o-ring fitted over sensor to seal on the block.

It is either sensor or fault in box now causing you the headache.
i understand you papajo, the sensor that i am using is the original GM part that i was using on the 2l 8v.
and remember with that old wiring it was working and i believe its still does.

i was thinking of ordering a new box and check if it`ll work ill know that my current box has a problem and will have to take it to be checked.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Why do you want to spend the money for a new box?? It is cheaper to have it repaired?

I paid a walk in fee of R250 and waited for resistors to be repaired. I could have left the box there from the Wednesday and picked it up again the following week Tuesday at no charge for repairs, but opted to wait as I didn’t want to drive through to Dicktator the next week again. The R250 fee is a rate they charge to stop the work they are busy with to attend to your issues for test and repair.

Don’t know how they will respond to your previous self repairs though.

I did buy the two resistors (cost me R2 for the two resistors) for the ignition outputs I have popped and could have done the replacement myself, but opted that Dicktator do it to have a piece of mind that box was also tested and fully functional after repair and no other components were affected before the two resistors.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

i am in polokwane(limpopo) so i have to courier the box to dicktator(jhb). i have a guy around here who is famously known for repairing computer boxes and dicktators the last time i went to him he said the box was fine but lemme return it to him before shipping it to dicktator.

and it wont be money lost as i have the 2l 8v that must get a box too
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm i am in polokwane(limpopo) so i have to courier the box to dicktator(jhb). i have a guy around here who is famously known for repairing computer boxes and dicktators the last time i went to him he said the box was fine but lemme return it to him before shipping it to dicktator.

and it wont be money lost as i have the 2l 8v that must get a box too
In that case have box tested and and get a second box as you will need one.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

on the opel the trigger wheel sits basically externally and you can see the trigger come up to it. No need to measure and deduct stuff. You can see if it fits right or not.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm on the opel the trigger wheel sits basically externally and you can see the trigger come up to it. No need to measure and deduct stuff. You can see if it fits right or not.
You’re right Panic :oops:

Mike65 started the post with Dicktator issues and wired to mp9 and then mon2fri continued on the post with Opel Astra F 1800 8v on second post.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

ur right panic, on the opel corsa 1.4 to 1.6 gsi the trigger is outside along with the magnetic sensor but on the opel astra\kadett 1.6 to 2l 16v the crank sensor goes inside the block.

tomorrow ill be taking the box to the guy called tony vice here in polokwane he`s the only guy that its recommended when coming to this stuff lets hope hell get it right.

or if you guys has a spare 60-2 box lets talk about the price ill kindly buy it.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:42 am ur right panic, on the opel corsa 1.4 to 1.6 gsi the trigger is outside along with the magnetic sensor but on the opel astra\kadett 1.6 to 2l 16v the crank sensor goes inside the block.

tomorrow ill be taking the box to the guy called tony vice here in polokwane he`s the only guy that its recommended when coming to this stuff lets hope hell get it right.

or if you guys has a spare 60-2 box lets talk about the price ill kindly buy it.
I would then still recommend you to check the distance to trigger teeth to be sure that it is not the issue, although you know that the ecu is mostlikely the culprit. Elliminate all possible causes one by one to narrow down to the origin.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

ill try that papa joe and again measure the distance on the block on that 2l 8v to check if they are same same length.

thank you!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

And by using an oscilloscope to check for the trigger signal will save all that hassle.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

I dnt have an oscilloscope and the only plase to get it is at f2 technologies and their prices aren't friendly.

Last time i went to them for mapping and dyno tunning i paid 4800.00 and when i check other places in pta and jhb are cheaper, way cheaper
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm I dnt have an oscilloscope and the only plase to get it is at f2 technologies and their prices aren't friendly.

Last time i went to them for mapping and dyno tunning i paid 4800.00 and when i check other places in pta and jhb are cheaper, way cheaper
Did they do the install and wiring too, last time?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm
mon2fri wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm I dnt have an oscilloscope and the only plase to get it is at f2 technologies and their prices aren't friendly.

the wiring was done by me with lil mistakes. all they did was to map and tune the car
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

the wiring was done by me with lil mistakes. all they did was to map and tune the car
They saw you coming.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:59 pm
mon2fri wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

They saw you coming.
i guess so. :smile: :smile:
but its not the right practice and business morals. now im even scared to go to them again nor refer ppl to them
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I most definitely under charge that is for damn sure. R1250 for a full tune.
They must have a monopoly there because Even at what I charge people have said it's too much.
Time to revisit the rates I guess.
For that kind of money I could have fetched it and tuned it. Wow
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10