dicktator issues help please

mike65
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1

dicktator issues help please

Post by mike65 »

Hi guys ive wired my dicktator in according to a mp9 diagram i found...

all wired in and when i switched the ign on my coil wire burned...poped the relay and feulpump fuse

i had another red wire straight on the bat and think thats why my coil wire burned cause i had ign wire on aswell...

ive taken the wire off the bat and replaced the fuse and relay but pump still not coming on but the relay comes on...

ive checked the wiring coming from the dicktator and the red and yellow wire has no power to it even if i crank the car...

what else can i check please help
Watch this space
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: dicktator issues help please

Post by PapaJo »

Thick red and Black wires from Dicktator get wired to the battery and then there is a thinner red wire from pin 8 on p-lug that you need to wire to ignition on point.

The fuel pump will prime for a few seconds and then switch off. This is controlled by the Dicktator ecu.

Is your Dicktator wired like this diagram? You need to wire the power to Dicktator like this and not through the MP9 circuits.

http://www.dicktator.co.za/Dicktator%20 ... layout.pdf

Did you pop the relay indicated in the diagram?
Where did you have the fuses popped? Did you install fuses on the fuel pump wire? If so that needs to handle minimum 13A-15A.

Do you have the Dicktator software installed on a laptop and do you have the USB to serial cable connected to ecu and is the red light on the ecu on when you switch the ignition on? Do you have a map loaded on the ecu or still setting up?

Double check your coil wiring, you may have reversed the polarity on the coil.
mon2fri
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years

Post by mon2fri »

good day guys.

i have a dicktator 60-2 wired on my opel astra f 1800 8v,

1. when i swing the car only the red(on light) stays lit and the yellow and green doesn't flick. i thought maybe it might be the crank sensor.
i have changed the crank sensor and yet nothing changes. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

2. i have plugged the laptop to check if the RPM reading changes when i swing the car but it stays on 0 :bang: :bang: .

i was using the box on my 200is and it was fine but moving it here caused problems.

please guys can u assist.

thank you in advance
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

PapaJo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 pm Thick red and Black wires from Dicktator get wired to the battery and then there is a thinner red wire from pin 8 on p-lug that you need to wire to ignition on point.

The fuel pump will prime for a few seconds and then switch off. This is controlled by the Dicktator ecu.

Is your Dicktator wired like this diagram? You need to wire the power to Dicktator like this and not through the MP9 circuits.

Did you pop the relay indicated in the diagram?
Where did you have the fuses popped? Did you install fuses on the fuel pump wire? If so that needs to handle minimum 13A-15A.

Do you have the Dicktator software installed on a laptop and do you have the USB to serial cable connected to ecu and is the red light on the ecu on when you switch the ignition on? Do you have a map loaded on the ecu or still setting up?

Double check your coil wiring, you may have reversed the polarity on the coil.
The polarity was the prob...sorry totaly forgot to update this...but im buzy with a step by step guide to help others install the dicktator
Watch this space
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

mon2fri wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:30 pm good day guys.

1. when i swing the car only the red(on light) stays lit and the yellow and green doesn't flick. i thought maybe it might be the crank sensor.
i have changed the crank sensor and yet nothing changes. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

2. i have plugged the laptop to check if the RPM reading changes when i swing the car but it stays on 0 :bang: :bang: .

i was using the box on my 200is and it was fine but moving it here caused problems.

thank you in advance

I had the very same prob...im not 100% sure on 60-2 but it would be the dizzy or crank sensor thats the prob double check wiring and make sure you get voltage on those wires when cranking
Watch this space
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mike65 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm
mon2fri wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:30 pm good day guys.

thank you in advance

I had the very same prob...im not 100% sure on 60-2 but it would be the dizzy or crank sensor thats the prob double check wiring and make sure you get voltage on those wires when cranking
60-2 uses a magnetic crank sensor. It is either the sensor or its wiring that is the problem as you said you have used the box before on a different motor. When 69-2 ecu get rpm pulse input, the green and amber lights will flash. Red light is power light. Double check also that the red light stay on during cranking.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

i have checked the wiring and now i have spark and injector pulse when i put the car is on, but when i swing the car its all gone.
when i check the rpm on the laptop its still 0. and again no pulse on the neg trigger wire
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 pm i have checked the wiring and now i have spark and injector pulse when i put the car is on, but when i swing the car its all gone.
when i check the rpm on the laptop its still 0. and again no pulse on the neg trigger wire
So you actually just gave the initial spark when switching ignition on. You will still not see any spark pulses or fuel pulses on the two led’s until you can read rpm on ecu.

Are you sure wiring is correct? Explain which wires were connected where.

Is it wired like this?

Post a picture of your main setup page.

Check that the gap between the sensor and the 60-2 teeth is 0,75mm or less.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

hi Papajo, the sensor goes into the engine block so i might not be able to measure it.today i tried again hooked the laptop when i put the car on the rpm reads and i can hear the ignition pulse, but the problem is when i swing the rpm doesn't read it stays on zero.

wiring
crank sensor pin 1 = white (neg input on the 60-2 box) pin 2 = red(positive input on the 60-2 box) pin 3 shield which goes to ground

ignition module 1= coil neg 2= engine ground 4= B+ terminal 6= black\yellow (ignition output 1 on the 60-2 box).

so i tried another method to check control on the box :

step 1 have a wire connected to the B+ with ignition on tap it to the Pin 1(white) and pin 2(red) on the crank sensor there i hear ignition pulse and fuel. even the yellow and green led on the box comes on.

step 2 have someone start the car while i am busy tapping on the two wired i can hear the car almost catching.

so i`ll have the pictures of my data page soon
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

hi Papajo, the sensor goes into the engine block so i might not be able to measure it.today i tried again hooked the laptop when i put the car on the rpm reads and i can hear the ignition pulse, but the problem is when i swing the rpm doesn't read it stays on zero.

wiring
crank sensor pin 1 = white (neg input on the 60-2 box) pin 2 = red(positive input on the 60-2 box) pin 3 shield which goes to ground

ignition module 1= coil neg 2= engine ground 4= B+ terminal 6= black\yellow (ignition output 1 on the 60-2 box).

step 1 have a wire connected to the B+ with ignition on tap it to the Pin 1(white) and pin 2(red) on the crank sensor there i hear ignition pulse and fuel. even the yellow and green led on the box comes on.

step 2 have someone start the car while i am busy tapping on the two wired i can hear the car almost catching.

so i`ll have the pictures of my data page soon
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 pm
mon2fri wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 pm i have checked the wiring and now i have spark and injector pulse when i put the car is on, but when i swing the car its all gone.
So you actually just gave the initial spark when switching ignition on. You will still not see any spark pulses or fuel pulses on the two led’s until you can read rpm on ecu.

Are you sure wiring is correct? Explain which wires were connected where.

Is it wired like this?

Post a picture of your main setup page.

Check that the gap between the sensor and the 60-2 teeth is 0,75mm or less.

wiring

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Don’t tap the wires as you will create a short and mostlikely burn the ignition output resistor in the 60-2 ecu if tapping on the wrong wire. That is not how you solve it. You need to ensure wiring is correct and you need to see rpm on Dicktator or you can tap for life and will not get your car started.

Are you using a TP100 as ignition module?

Was the previous car also wired for 60-2 and is this box definitely a 60-2 ecu.

Ensure you have wired like this.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 pm Don’t tap the wires as you will create a short and mostlikely burn the ignition output resistor in the 60-2 ecu if tapping on the wrong wire. That is not how you solve it. You need to ensure wiring is correct and you need to see rpm on Dicktator or you can tap for life and will not get your car started.

Are you using a TP100 as ignition module?

Was the previous car also wired for 60-2 and is this box definitely a 60-2 ecu.

Ensure you have wired like this.
:bang: yes it wired the same 60-2 and i am using a tp100 module.

after a while my gut just told me to open up the box and check if everything is ok. and I have found out that one resistor is burned so today after work ill replace it and see if i am winning.

so ill update tonight or tomorrow morning on the status of the car.
hopefully it might be a positive update :troll:
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Let me guess, it is the ignition output resistor. 33ohm resistor.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 pm Let me guess, it is the ignition output resistor. 33ohm resistor.
something like that its color coded red black black gold and its 20 ohm. :cry: :cry:

have u got my pm to you on the update? :type:
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

yesterday i have replaced the resistor and tried again.
sadly the car did not start but there are some developments.
1. Rpm reading when i put the car on
2.no Rpm reading when i crank the car
so i wanted to check if the sensor its OK and i took it out from the engine block, hold it closely to the camshaft tooth and have someone to crank the car.

1. it sputter and wanna catch but doesn't
2. the box respond nicely as i see both yellow and green led flickering
3. smoke coming out showing detonation

so now i am stunned if whether the crank sensor its not the right one or the right question will be " does the crank sensor for Opel Astra F 1.8 8v differ with the Opel Astra F 2l 8v?".
today ill go to gold wagen to check if i was using the right crank sensor if not buy and install then test again.

but your help its been great i`m learning a lot from you guys.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

I’m using the Astra F 1.8/2.0 one from GW. PART NUMBER MOTOEURO 11037.

If it was spluttering and trying to start when holding close to the cam gear, means it is then reading pulses even though incorrect count of pulses.

Where the sensor fits in the block is your possible problem. Did you fit a thick o-ring on the sensor? If yes, then the sensor is too far away from the trigger teeth. The gap should be kess than 0,7mm to 0,75mm abd larger result in no pulses picked up. If you have a vernier, measure from the face of engine block where sensor is inserted into block up to the high end of the trigger teeth and then check that on the sensor. Measure in centre of hole to replicate centre of sensor position. Measure sensor from tip tosensor flange and then differebce between the two measurements will tell you the gap between trigger teeth and sensor tip.

Is there a start up map loaded and ignition set for 4 cylinders and ignition divide value of 2?
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

good day papajo,

yes i have used my old setup that i used on my 2l 8v 200is.

i have three crank sensors two with manufacturer provided O-rings and one without the O-ring.

i`ve tried to upload pics but with these forum i dnt knw how cz even when i cut and paste on the dialog pad it doesn't upload.

i`ll try again to check the crank sensors and measure the length or diameter where i insert the sensor maybe i might win this war
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

You need to create a postimg or similar account abd post your pictures there and then copy the hotlink for forums into the posts here.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

i am taking a lil break on the car as it gives me headache :twisted: :twisted: . im thinking of buying a new crank sensor and a new 60-2 wiring loom
on the weekend i tried thinking maybe its the wiring from the crank sensor to the box (red ,white and the shielded wire) when i touch the red wire with my hands i hear spark and injector pulse even the rpm was reading. so i want to know if its the wiring loom or i`m just missing sum thing. :bang: :bang: :bang: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Think your wiring to sensor is wrong unless you named the pinouts wrong.

The sensor is wired with pin 1 in sensor to pin 1 on ecu red wire and pin 2 on sensor is wired to pin 11 on ecu white wire.

Was this the same resistor burnt in your ecu?
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

yeah it was the same resistor, and the wiring is good as it comes in a shaded gray loom inside is the red,white and ground
ill try these postimg thing and show you my board and settings.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 pm yeah it was the same resistor, and the wiring is good as it comes in a shaded gray loom inside is the red,white and ground
ill try these postimg thing and show you my board and settings.
Those resistors are 33ohm and are for ignition 1 and 2 outputs.

Red in that shielded cable goes to pin 1 on the sensor and white goes to pin 2 on the sensor. Pin 3 on the sensor is connected to the shield.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

https://postimg.cc/image/5b1yhyjx7/

shaded in the picture are the resistors that i replaced, i took out the the burned ones with the color code (red,black,black,gold)20ohm and put those(red,red,black,gold)22ohm resistors.

if they are not correct please let me know so that i order the right ones.

and yep i connected the crank sensor as instructed but yet no luck reading the rpm :sad:
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »