Jude
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 6

Citi not starting

Post by Jude »

Hi Gents,

I am sure I can get some help here , I have been banging my head with this one :bang:

So this citi Rox 1.4i motor was transplanted into a 1980 Golf 1. The injection system was removed and replaced with a carb, the original dizzy was on the motor . Got a the wiring harness for the dizzy and the "tp100" for it and used the standard coil. Timing set 100% and she fired up on the turn.
Car ran beautifully up until a month ago, the miss firing , back firing all started.
Went back and checked everything over, new 'tp 100", new dizzy, leads the works .... and now she refuses to start.
Timing was set 100% with all marks checking out perfect. I am at a total loss here ....

Please help !
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: Citi not starting

Post by UDC »

are you getting spark and fuel to the carb
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

UDC wrote:are you getting spark and fuel to the carb
Both 100% and on the right marks, she took once and then backfired and died !
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

most likely sucking air, check carb base plate and vacuum hoses
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

Thanks buddy, going to go over all the little bobs and bits, will this really cause it to backfire and misfire.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Is firing order correct after replacing the leads?
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

PapaJo wrote:Is firing order correct after replacing the leads?
100% , checked all over last night , new base plate, replaced the battery. gave her a swing and she wants to take but still coughs and dies.
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

are you sure its getting fuel, also try bypassing the fuel reservoir that sits on the tappet cover and see if that helps
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Jude wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 am
100% , checked all over last night , new base plate, replaced the battery. gave her a swing and she wants to take but still coughs and dies.
Is distributor timing in the correct way and not 180 degrees out? No1 at TDC and then distributor at no1. Is the cam pulley timing mark level with the tappet cover at the front of motor?
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

PapaJo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 am
Jude wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 am
Is distributor timing in the correct way and not 180 degrees out? No1 at TDC and then distributor at no1. Is the cam pulley timing mark level with the tappet cover at the front of motor?
All marks on point, rotor on the mark with no.1 . Will work over the w.end on her again and see what happens.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ok, let us know how you get on over the weekend.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

100$ gents... have a lekker day
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

Well guess what , i did the same thing over 5 times in order . TDC , BDC , Flywheel mark , removed no 1 plug= checked piston is up, Rotor mark pointing to the mark. Car started with a very rough idle, advanced the timing a little and cough bang fart she dies !!!!!!!

I removed the carb, base plate and checked everything there , base plate sealed properly and carb. Removed the tci unit , the harness and checked the wiring diagram and all is in order . Put everything back together and the same. If i advance the timing by turning the dizzy a little she will rev clean and then just die and some times she wil backfire and cough fart and die . Could it be the tci unit is faulty and on its way out ? this was a brand new one from G/W.

I am lost here now
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

UDC wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 am are you sure its getting fuel, also try bypassing the fuel reservoir that sits on the tappet cover and see if that helps
did you try this
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

UDC wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm
UDC wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 am are you sure its getting fuel, also try bypassing the fuel reservoir that sits on the tappet cover and see if that helps
did you try this
:iagree:

In your first post you said "So this citi Rox 1.4i motor was transplanted into a 1980 Golf 1." Did you install a facet electrical pump to feed fuel to the carb? The FI motors does not have a mechanical fuel pump opening or blank off cover on the block.

Explain to us how do you feed fuel from the tank to the motor. Could be a blockage or restriction in fuel line causing no fuel passing to the carb.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:59 pm
did you try this

In your first post you said "So this citi Rox 1.4i motor was transplanted into a 1980 Golf 1." Did you install a facet electrical pump to feed fuel to the carb? The FI motors does not have a mechanical fuel pump opening or blank off cover on the block.

Explain to us how do you feed fuel from the tank to the motor. Could be a blockage or restriction in fuel line causing no fuel passing to the carb.
OR

Did you remove the block breather and installed the mechanical fuel pump on the block with the plastic spacer?
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 pm
PapaJo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:59 pm
did you try this

OR

Did you remove the block breather and installed the mechanical fuel pump on the block with the plastic spacer?
Correct brother and there is enough fuel being sent through. Removed the fuel line from the carb and when i swing there is enough fuel being pushed through.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

Sorry should have said breather removed and mech pump installed, have bypassed the fuel res. The blank off aluminium plate accomodates for the spacer.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

The strange part is when i started the car the first time there was no problems at all. Had a good couple runs on the open road, in and around town but then all of a sudden this started. Anyway i guess it is going to be a check and rule out exercise...
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Think your next place to check now is, whether there are fuel inside the carb. Check the needle and seat and brass pipe where the fuel hose connects for blockages.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

PapaJo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 pm Think your next place to check now is, whether there are fuel inside the carb. Check the needle and seat and brass pipe where the fuel hose connects for blockages.
Have done this exercise as well bud, two diferent carbs as well , original vw carb and a replacement unit from G.W .

Will have some time next week when i am on leave to get to the bottom of this k@k
Thank again chaps for all the replies!
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Then you need to keep elliminating things to get to the bottom of this. Vacuum leaks and boister pipe to manifold to check is also to be checked.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

Hi chaps, back after my leave and finally car is sorted.There was slight leak on the intake I removed it , did a little water test whilst car was idling and it sucked the water right in! I started from one side, removed intake manifold, base plate and cleaned surfaces put new gaskets on and base plate sealed properly left to dry overnight . Checked timing , cam timing, crank timing, dizzy timing all marks were 100%. The distributor is brand new, all the plug leads were replaced. Started and the car started but still the backfire and misfire. Last attempt I got a new TCI module and tried much better but still a slight misfire which was intermittent. Changed the plugs new set of Bosch iridium and what do you know, she was purring like a kitten. So I did a little test , I put the old module back and the car started to misfire and backfire etc... The strange thing is that module must have been just over a month old, I put the new one back and problem gone. I took the tci unit back to G/W and showed him the receipt when I bought it said unfortunately it is an electric component and it could be faulty unit. So I left it as that .

Anyway guys thanks for all the help and suggestions, hopefully that was the last of that episode.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Thank you very much for reporting back. Many thread starters don't do that.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

VAG Fan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 pm Thank you very much for reporting back. Many thread starters don't do that.
Have to agree here. It is always good to hear that problems are resolved and posters who contributed get acknowledged.