DrummerBoy227
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2011 Polo Vivo 1.4

Polo Vivo SWOP!?!?

Post by DrummerBoy227 »

Howzit guys and gals.

I currently have a 1.4, 2011 Polo Vivo. I bought it second hand with 52k odd k's on the clock, the lady that owned it before me drove the car extremely hot, had to replace close to everything on the engine to get it running to normal, but I'm still using oil like a land rover.

I'm thinking of swoping the engine out for either another 1.4, 9n3 gti motor, or since it's all out, doing a 2.0l abf swop. I've read close to all the forums regarding vivo engine swops, and everyone's advice is to sell the car and get a gti. I don't want to sell my car, as it's paid off and costing me insurance only. Now my question is what engines would fit the stock engine mounts, the 9n3 gti, and 1.9 tdi motors should fit since it's the same car? Or maybe I'm wrong... I've already got sound, and a few cosmetic mods on it, but now I'm looking to make it pull a bit better.

Yes I understand it's gonna cost a **** load of money to do it, and I'll be dumping time, money and effort into it, and no, flogging the car to buy a gti with stage 2 isn't a option. I don't want to be the typical "dad bought me a gti and he paid for stage 2 etc" bra, I want to build something **** fast, since there aren't any fast vivo's on the road lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Brendan
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Re: Polo Vivo SWOP!?!?

Post by billionairebum »

There is something I keep coming across on this forum. "Do not build what can be bought". Make sure the project is going to worth the cost in the end.
DrummerBoy227
Enlisted

Post by DrummerBoy227 »

Like I said, I understand I don't have to "build what can be bought", but I want a unique vivo, I've got the cash, and it's something that can keep my mind busy, but thanks for the reply I do appreciate it!
Aslam_mk4
SO FLUFFY, WE ALL GONNA DIE!
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Membership No: 1824

Post by Aslam_mk4 »

First of all a Petrol to diesel is going to cost you a lot more then another petrol motor swap

Secondly take the car to someone reputable to see what’s the issue.if you can give us your location we can help you out who to go to.

I know of a 1.8t 20v 132kw drive by wire motor from a seat with everything that you will need eg motor,Ecu,wiring.pedal for like 16k
Bagged mk4 2dr

"Ride or die"
DrummerBoy227
Enlisted

Post by DrummerBoy227 »

Aslam_MK4 wrote:First of all a Petrol to diesel is going to cost you a lot more then another petrol motor swap

Secondly take the car to someone reputable to see what’s the issue.if you can give us your location we can help you out who to go to.

I know of a 1.8t 20v 132kw drive by wire motor from a seat with everything that you will need eg motor,Ecu,wiring.pedal for like 16k

Thanks Aslam_MK4, took it to alot of guys in the vaal area, spent nearly 20k all in all from going to different guys to have a look at her, but still nothing... Yes petrol to diesel is going to cost an arm and a leg, but I'm keeping it petrol, I'll have a look around for motors with everything included like the 1.8t motor you're talking about. I appreciate the feedback
Aslam_mk4
SO FLUFFY, WE ALL GONNA DIE!
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Membership No: 1824

Post by Aslam_mk4 »

DrummerBoy227 wrote:
Aslam_MK4 wrote:First of all a Petrol to diesel is going to cost you a lot more then another petrol motor swap

Thanks Aslam_MK4, took it to alot of guys in the vaal area, spent nearly 20k all in all from going to different guys to have a look at her, but still nothing... Yes petrol to diesel is going to cost an arm and a leg, but I'm keeping it petrol, I'll have a look around for motors with everything included like the 1.8t motor you're talking about. I appreciate the feedback
Shot you in the vaal me aswell.

Did you go to uncle ahmed at auto dynamics in vereeniging?

Between Nissan and hi q or some tyre place is service lane 16
Drive straight down and on your left you will see auto dynamics

Go to him and ask him his opinion
Bagged mk4 2dr

"Ride or die"
DrummerBoy227
Enlisted

Post by DrummerBoy227 »

Aslam_MK4 wrote:
DrummerBoy227 wrote:

Shot you in the vaal me aswell.

Did you go to uncle ahmed at auto dynamics in vereeniging?

Between Nissan and hi q or some tyre place is service lane 16
Drive straight down and on your left you will see auto dynamics

Go to him and ask him his opinion

Thanks man, I'll go make a turn on Monday!
Hazaree7
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: Velociti 1.6i & Polo 1.9TDI

Post by Hazaree7 »

If you do the build please try and post as much info as possible.I’d love to follow it as I was thinking of doing the same,Build a sleeper .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U will be better off with the gti motor.. tdi stuff is just too costly and at times difficult to source

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Ashveer03 wrote:U will be better off with the gti motor.. tdi stuff is just too costly and at times difficult to source

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
Agree with some of the above, mostly the diesel part.

Since your car is more modern than the 1.8T motor, I suggest perhaps an FSi or TFSi swop.

The engine mounts are very similar, as well as suspension, which means most if not all parts needed could well be bolt on.

The N/A FSi I think is ideal as the engine bay on the Polo is smaller than the Golf and getting all the plumbing to fit could prove difficult if you went the turbo route.

If you use the search bar, there is a guy who swopped an FSi into a Caddy panel van and installed individual throttles to the motor. This setup in a Polo would be rare and special as few have done it, also fun to drive and reasonable as a daily.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
DrummerBoy227
Enlisted

Post by DrummerBoy227 »

Thanks to everyone's advice, I'll have a look at the FSI and TFSI motors, and if I go through with it I'll be sure to post as many pictures and steps as I go through, thanks to everyone!