9a and pl mk1 conversion possible

162life-WP
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 Life

Re: 9a and pl mk1 conversion possible

Post by 162life-WP »

@bloupot we did some thi g very similar. Altho we grinded the original 9a alti bracket and added some washers. The adjuster bracket sits on the top of my alternator and we cut the power steering bracket up to extend the the adjuster so that it fits. Drove the car to work today and I the rain the belt makes one hella noise. Enede up towing the car home 🙄the setup u have looks a billions times better. Just be sure that ur belt grips the water pump pulley properly as mine is... Well... Its under construction yet again lol. All part of the learning experience I guess. Once the car is actually reliable and consistent, I'll start a rides thread. For now tho it's back to the drawing board for me😒from the few hours the car was on the road using a basic start up map and sorting out the other teething issues, I can say that it feels fantastic😅low down torque is great and I think I'll definitely be saving towards a set of cams in the future. For a budget build done in the driveway, I have very little to complain about and I'm looking forward to hearing ur views on the conversion as well.
blou_poot
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: Chico golf 1.3+Vat

Post by blou_poot »

Will take the grinder and see how far i get...

Might possibly have to move the radiator as well.

Just cant keep on struggling with one part.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
Win or lose, the War is not over.
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Its all part of the process bro, I was totally ticked off earlier when the car wouldn't start but that's the choices we make hey😅also as ur pic suggests, my alti doesn't line perfectly up with the other pulleys and we will be making the necessary adjustments this week still. But the best thing u can do is be patient with it coz u don't want to be stuck coz of it trust me. When the battery doesn't work the car is basically a sitting duck
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

blou_poot wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:09 pm Will take the grinder and see how far i get...

Might possibly have to move the radiator as well.

Just cant keep on struggling with one part.

I'm using my original radiator and my alti clears. There's still some space to work with as it may need to be moved even further forward. We used some washers to line it up with the other 2 pulleys but will have to rethink that in future. Will attempt to do something similar to what papa Jo explained.
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Its all fun and definitely part of the process.

I am a 8v guy and lover of the mp9 (dont crusify me).

I just always wanted a 16v and decided im doing most of the work myself.

Im here to learn as much as i can, my best 1/4 mile times were due to me playing around and working on my own car.

Not in a hurry as funds are limited this month as VW charged me a lot to change oil and brakes (car still under warranty).

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Hang in there. You will get this sorted. Take it one step at a time and ask for more info uf you are not sure.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Did you win with the alternator or still struggling?
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Unfortunately i had no time to work on it this weekend.

Should be making tine during the week.

Getting a little frustrated, however the positivity is coming back.

Should be thinking more short term instead of long term.

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Stay positive, you’ll get it done.
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Power was off for about 3 hours today in Windhoek so drove home and checked again in terms of options for the alternator.

I believe a have finally figured out a working solution with minimal work to be done just need to drill the holes bigger for the bolt and should work will with the existing 9a bracket.

Will post picks to show the work done once i have time to do it.

Another question this time regarding water pipes:

There seems to be two additional eater piepes one from the front where radiator hose goes in, can i use another hose to remove the thin pipe? And what will the repurcussions be (looks like it 8mm hose as per water hose from water tank to radiator). Secondly there is an additional water hose at the bottom of the flange on the side of the head. Can i just block tagg off?

What flange would fit on the side of the head as well that i can add a water temp sensor to for the dicktator and the dash?

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Should fit now. Modified the middle mounting point with a drill and rethreaded it slightly as to make sure there is no play for the bolt.

Will need to slightly grind the mounting point in order to get the alternator to fit.

Will use washers in order to properly line up the pulleys...

Will later on remove additional weight by cutting of uneeded metal.

The beast needs to start already.

ImageImageImageImage

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Questionable water pipes.

Please dont mind the dirty engine bay as a lil gearbox oil was wasted and car is standing where a lot of dust resides until plannis made for interlocks.

ImageImage
96' Chico 2.0 Carb
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Just a lil update as to the progress on my build.

So the last time I said the car died in the wet weather and I had to be towed home. Problem was that I fried the hall sender in the dizzy.

After figuring out that it was the issue, I bought a new dizzy and fitted at the dyno on Saturday.

Car made 134kw and 232nm torque successfully :D with only branch, exhaust and dicktator std.needless to say I was quite chuffed about the result.

Drove the car home and it really felt like a bullet,. The throttle pedal feels so soft and responsive in terms of the way the car jumps forward.

Got home n switched the car off, only to discover that it wouldn't start again... Yep u guessed it... Another fried dizzy😭

Spoke to a few people and they instructed me to use the 5v tps wire from the dicktator to power the dizzy instead of the 12v I had been using to power the 3pin coil, dizzy and injectors.

Got ANOTHER dizzy and did exactly that, car started and backfired like hell. Didn't even make it out of the driveway before it stopped. This time it was different though as all the lights on the management still came on when I tried to swing it as opposed to the previous two occasions. Kick started the car and it ran then died, changed the dizzy cap and it ran and backfired round about 3k rpm then eventually... ANOTHER fried dizzy.😭

At this point I really have no further explanation nor ideas as to how to make this car run reliably anymore😢feel like giving up honestly.

After performing so well on the dyno all I want to do is enjoy the hard work sweat n tears, but alas.... The good Lord has other plans....

Any help or ideas at this point would be tremendously appreciated

Regards

16 2 life😔
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

162life-WP wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm Just a lil update as to the progress on my build.

So the last time I said the car died in the wet weather and I had to be towed home. Problem was that I fried the hall sender in the dizzy.

After figuring out that it was the issue, I bought a new dizzy and fitted at the dyno on Saturday.

Car made 134kw and 232nm torque successfully :D with only branch, exhaust and dicktator std.needless to say I was quite chuffed about the result.

Drove the car home and it really felt like a bullet,. The throttle pedal feels so soft and responsive in terms of the way the car jumps forward.

Got home n switched the car off, only to discover that it wouldn't start again... Yep u guessed it... Another fried dizzy😭

Spoke to a few people and they instructed me to use the 5v tps wire from the dicktator to power the dizzy instead of the 12v I had been using to power the 3pin coil, dizzy and injectors.

Got ANOTHER dizzy and did exactly that, car started and backfired like hell. Didn't even make it out of the driveway before it stopped. This time it was different though as all the lights on the management still came on when I tried to swing it as opposed to the previous two occasions. Kick started the car and it ran then died, changed the dizzy cap and it ran and backfired round about 3k rpm then eventually... ANOTHER fried dizzy.😭

At this point I really have no further explanation nor ideas as to how to make this car run reliably anymore😢feel like giving up honestly.

After performing so well on the dyno all I want to do is enjoy the hard work sweat n tears, but alas.... The good Lord has other plans....

Any help or ideas at this point would be tremendously appreciated

Regards

16 2 life😔
:hijack:
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

By replacing the dizzy you might have changed the timing. Did you plug into laptop and set timing corrrctly again?

Remember the 16v fires anti-clockwise as apposed to 8v which runs clockwise.

In terms of the blown hall sensor it should be fibe with the 12v as i ussually give it 12v as well.

You can try the red/white wire on dicktator for the 5v positive if you believe it would work better.

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Are you at the coast as those power figures seem a bit high?

Or dyno might be a bit happy.

However if it feels great why not post a video... I believe we can share this thread to have as much info as possible of the 9a motors.

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

blou_poot wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 pm Questionable water pipes.

Please dont mind the dirty engine bay as a lil gearbox oil was wasted and car is standing where a lot of dust resides until plannis made for interlocks.

ImageImage
First picture pipe bit unclear to identify, but looks as it is above gearbox. The original side water flange had a port for the heater core going into the car and the thinner side jymped over to a connection on the steel pipe.

You can use the head flange with the 4 pun sensor from the 8v head and fit that on the side of head.

The thin pipe from the second picture goes to the thin pipe on the water bottle. Does the same function as the thin pipe on radiator to water bottle. Different models and the mk2 with 9a motor had this pipe fitted to the front of head.

See this picture for more clarity.
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Noted... Will see what fits... Seem to be getting closer now...

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

I have used the same mounting point on bracket for my universal alternator, with a thin spacer inbetween the front mounting point and front alternator bracket arm and shaved off about 4mm on the inside of the rear alternator bracket arm to line pulley up with water pump and crank.
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Nice... Will provide feedback when i have more time to spend with the car.

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
162life-WP
Cadet

Post by 162life-WP »

Thanx for your understanding blou poot,we are all here to help one another and to learn from eachother :thumbup: i have started my own build thread tho, your more than welcome to give it a preview. And yes i am at the coast brother, coastal air ROCKS :driving: LOL

I didnt do anything with the laptop regarding the timing again,will have a guy come look at everything soon once i get another dizzy :bang: but thanx for the advice i sincerely appreciate it honestly.

heres the evidence of the dyno and just some motivation really for you to get your car up and running ASAP bro :hug:

blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Tgabks for all the help, feedback and positivity.

Seems im getting there, by cutting and modifying the 16v bracket i now have two possible mounting points.

Looks like i might be going with the second option whichnis the modified part as posted above on not using the original mounting point that was cut.

Need another mm or two to have it aligned fully.

Hopefully that i can do tomorrow evening or early saterday morning.

ImageImageImageImage

96' Chico 2.0 Carb
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

blou_poot wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 pm Tgabks for all the help, feedback and positivity.

Seems im getting there, by cutting and modifying the 16v bracket i now have two possible mounting points.

Looks like i might be going with the second option whichnis the modified part as posted above on not using the original mounting point that was cut.

Need another mm or two to have it aligned fully.

Hopefully that i can do tomorrow evening or early saterday morning.

ImageImageImageImage

Can’t see the pictures in this last post.
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Try againImageImageImageImage
Last edited by blou_poot on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96' Chico 2.0 Carb
blou_poot
Cadet

Post by blou_poot »

Seems my tapatalk images break now.

96' Chico 2.0 Carb