Citi golf gear selection issues

my_citi1.8i
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Citi golf gear selection issues

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Hi All,

Not sure if you recall I had clutch issues. The clutch replacement was done but I had endless issues with the mechanic. The issue now is - is that i still have gear selection problems(car on or off). We had a look at the release bearing about 2 weeks ago and the release bearing was busted in pieces and the pushing rod was black(like burned) on both sides. We replaced the releasing bearing and the pushing rod but still have gear selection problems. When i tap on the clutch pedal then there is a buzzing/rattling sound. Clutch peddle engagements are better but it randomly goes a bit stiffer. I have taken the car to two mechanics and they advised that the poor workmanship is the cause and the clutch replacement would need to be redone. They suspecting the pressure plate is bent. I had endless troubles and can right a 20 page essay on this...i just need your guys input. Should the clutch replacement be done again as I have spent over 7k so far on which should have been a 3k job or whatelse could be the cause. I dont feel like doing another clutch replacement then that that is not the cause.

Thanks.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: Citi golf gear selection issues

Post by UDC »

Citi golf gear selection problems are usually related to linkage alignment or linkage bushes worn out, are you having problems selecting gears or other gearbox/clutch issues
kylebassani
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK3 Jetta 1.8 CSX, 1976 Beetle

Post by kylebassani »

Crap bud, hope you get this sorted.

Unfortunately I can't really assist with this, but as mentioned by UDC it could be the linkage alignment or bushes. The bushes you can get from Gold Wagen for not to much if I recall this cost about R150 to R200...I think this should be a great place to start
VW Jetta mk2 16V
1978 Beetle 1600 8V
VW Jetta mk3 CSX
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

You mention a buzzing sound when you press the clutch pedal in.

This is not a good sign.

Personally I feel that you need to chalk the money spent so far up to school fees and go get the car repaired at a reputable workshop.

Leaving this issue to get worse can and will cost you way more than you have already spent.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

My experience with linkage bushes from GW is not good. The ones I got from the agents proved to be much more durable.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

missioner wrote:You mention a buzzing sound when you press the clutch pedal in.

This is not a good sign.

Personally I feel that you need to chalk the money spent so far up to school fees and go get the car repaired at a reputable workshop.

Leaving this issue to get worse can and will cost you way more than you have already spent.
Mechanic number 1 said he did the linkage bushes. When i got the car back there was no play on the gear lever side. The positioning of the gear nob was solid. It is not solid anymore. There is a buzzing noise when i engage the clutch pedal. I really dont know where to start as another mechanic said we need to replace the clutch kit as it was not done correctly but what if its the gearbox. sigh sigh sigh
cba741
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Re: Citi golf bootspoiler installation

Post by cba741 »

Hi Guys

Can someone help me to install rubber boot spoiler on citi golf pleaese
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

if there is a noise when you press the clutch then it is releaser bearing related, you said the releaser bearing was busted previously.
Check the gearbox housing where the releaser bearing fits, maybe pieces of the old releaser bearing are still present or the housing for any damage or wear, also check the finger that presses against the releaser bearing for any wear or cracks
missioner
Major

Re: Citi golf bootspoiler installation

Post by missioner »

cba741 wrote:Hi Guys

Can someone help me to install rubber boot spoiler on citi golf pleaese
Banned for hijack
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

The buzzing noise you hear could be coming from the rod and the release bearing turning the whole time. If you look at a new pushrod, you will notice that the one side is well rounded shaped and fits 100% in the hollow surface in the release bearing. If you turn the shaft around, the other end on the shaft does not go all the way into the hollow part on the release bearing. That side should be at the pressure plate end pushing on the round plate. Wrong way round result in the shaft and release bearing turning the whole time. You will see wear on the rod where the rod sits in the brass bush behind the input shaft seal. Replace the shaft and release bearing and check the brass bush and seal.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Thank you. We replaced the release bearing when we did the inspection after the clutch replacement was done. The release bearing was busted. We also replaced the pushing rod with what the mechanic said a bit longer one which came out of his gearbox(fox/5speed). As soon as you tap on the clutch paddle you hear the buzzing noise. I still struggles a lot with the gear engagements. 1. do i go with another clutch replacement eventho the car is doing exactly the same i did before the replacement without the slipping. 2. could it be gearbox related. 3. could it be selectors etc? I dont want to do another clutch replacement to only find out that it could be something small or something big like replacing the gearbox
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

my_citi1.8i wrote:Thank you. We replaced the release bearing when we did the inspection after the clutch replacement was done. The release bearing was busted. We also replaced the pushing rod with what the mechanic said a bit longer one which came out of his gearbox(fox/5speed). As soon as you tap on the clutch paddle you hear the buzzing noise. I still struggles a lot with the gear engagements. 1. do i go with another clutch replacement eventho the car is doing exactly the same i did before the replacement without the slipping. 2. could it be gearbox related. 3. could it be selectors etc? I dont want to do another clutch replacement to only find out that it could be something small or something big like replacing the gearbox
As I stated previously, as it seems to me that you have lost faith in the first mechanic (?), Go get a second opinion from another better mechanic (workshop). Most won't charge you for checking the car, but if they begin working it will cost you some money.

I recommend a MIOSA and/or RMI approved workshop this time. If their work is faulty they are obligated to fix it for free as per industry norms. You are going to have to count the money you've spent as a loss and get your car fixed properly. The longer you take to get it done the worse the damage is getting.