Fuel flow cut off

Thisisit
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Fuel flow cut off

Post by Thisisit »

I have a 2003 Golf 1,6, 8 valve engine. Mileage is 229300km. Condition very good and used every day to drive to work and back (75 km / day).
When driving under very light throttle, eg. in traffic on the open road doing say between 40 to 100 kmh there is a often a jerk as if the fuel is switched off. This occurs particularly on a sligh downhill, but never on an uphill. The "economy" readout will show typically 4 l/100 km and then a jerk in the car and the reading drops to 0 l/ 100km. I have tested this many times. There is no engine cut out at all. This only occurs at very low throttle opening when the readout is in the order or 4,2 /100 km. I have tried to get it down to a lower value and have reached some 3,4 l /100 km but not lower.
I suspect that the throttle position sensing potentiometer is worn out at the very low throttle opening position and this is causing the ECU to cut off the fuel.
As a result I wish to replace the complete throttle valve body. But what about the Engine Control Unit. Could this be a problem? Fuel consumption is in the order of 7,4 l /100 km. and the car runs very smoothly except for this phenomoned at low throttle opening.
Can anyone give their opinion on this?
Thank you.