2012 VW Polo 1400 CLP engine trouble shooting help needed

HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

2012 VW Polo 1400 CLP engine trouble shooting help needed

Post by HendrikCTI »

Good day all
This is on behalf of a friend of mine here at work who's girlfriend has the car. He is very mechanically inclined as he has done many engine overhauls, gearbox overhauls and in general car trouble shooting and repairs.
Background:
Car has recently started using water. He says it needs 500ml top up every second day. He has gone through the engine bay with a strong flashlight each and every corner and cannot find any leaks or markings indicating a leak. Is head gasket a possibility? No steam coming from exhaust.

Car has the following symptom also that we don't know if it is right. When you remove the oil filler cap, there is a strong vacuum from the filler. It wants to such back the cap. He also says the car changes it's idle sound to a erratic idle when cap is removed. We have never experienced this with other cars before.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
RPGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '13 PGTI DSG
Membership No: missing

Re: 2012 VW Polo 1400 CLP engine trouble shooting help needed

Post by RPGTI »

My wife's got the exact same issue I have traced it to the water pump, it gets hot expands and lets out some water then it drops into the drip tray and eventually it drops out there onto the ground. As soon as i get time and money I will replace the pump and gasket on it. We also put in water everyday to top it up, it isn't ideal but its until we can buy the pump so I can fit it. Bare in mind the pump is quite hidden so tracing the water is tricky. Might be worth you checking it you might have the same issue as me.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Some engines have positive crankcase ventilation, i.e. the blow-by gas is drawn into the inlet duct after the throttle. This puts the whole crankcase, tappet cover etc. under vacuum. If you open the oil filler cap, then you introduce a whole lot of unmetered air into the combustion mixture, which explains the erratic idle. My Audi actually dies completely when I open the oil filler cap.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

Waterpump was replaced couple thousand km ago with a genuine VW one. I spoke to him and he said the first things he checked was waterpump and whole cooling system for leaks.

Thanks VAG Fan. Will inform him.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

use g12 or any of the modern coolants recommended for the car. By using a blacklight it actually flouresses and you can see where it leaks. also leaves an eye visible whiteish powder trace. If no visible leaking then possibly head gasket.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.